support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Canada's West Coast

jcannon

Locality
Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Hello everyone,

New to this forum as I just rediscovered my love for my alto saxophone. Having recently pulled it back out of storage, my Grassi standard alto is needing some love which has lead me to this wonderful group. I've played woodwind and stringed instruments for more than 20 years now and having recently introduced my children to orchestral music and seeing the joy in learning to play it themselves I've found my passion again.

I am located near Vancouver, BC in Canada. My more recent forays into music have been around guitar and bass guitar however I'm excited to revisit the old jazz and dixieland days with my alto. My kids love Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi and Bach and are learning piano, violin and ukulele.

Best regards,

James

Instruments: Ida Maria Grassi Standard Alto from 22xxx series, Peavey Raptor 6 string stratocaster knock-off, Fender Hellcat concert acoustic (1960s Fender concert body acoustic guitar reissue)

You have a very good sax there. You should go visit a repair tech or two and have them assess what it would take to get the horn in good playing tack. You don't wanna jump back into it on a leaky or poorly adjusted horn.

If you have a budget you have to adhere to, plus expectations as to the sax's performance - let the tech know that...otherwise they may start trying to quote for extensive work. Unless of course you are ready to just spend whole-hog.

IOW, you can say:

" hi, I have this sax I used to play, it's been sittin' unplayed for X years - what needs to be done & how much would it cost to get it back into good shape ?"

...which may well be interpreted by the tech as : "what needs to be done and how much $ to get it playing/performing like new ?"

OR you can say:

"hi, I have this sax I used to play, it's been sitting unplayed for X years - I'd like to get it into the sorta playing shape where I don't have to fight it; so the major issues dealt with, the minor ones can be put off for subsequent servicing. I'd like to keep it around $XXX."

Best of luck.

You have a very good sax there. You should go visit a repair tech or two and have them assess what it would take to get the horn in good playing tack. You don't wanna jump back into it on a leaky or poorly adjusted horn.

If you have a budget you have to adhere to, plus expectations as to the sax's performance - let the tech know that...otherwise they may start trying to quote for extensive work. Unless of course you are ready to just spend whole-hog.

IOW, you can say:

" hi, I have this sax I used to play, it's been sittin' unplayed for X years - what needs to be done & how much would it cost to get it back into good shape ?"

...which may well be interpreted by the tech as : "what needs to be done and how much $ to get it playing/performing like new ?"

OR you can say:

"hi, I have this sax I used to play, it's been sitting unplayed for X years - I'd like to get it into the sorta playing shape where I don't have to fight it; so the major issues dealt with, the minor ones can be put off for subsequent servicing. I'd like to keep it around $XXX."

Best of luck.
Great advice, thanks for this. I love this alto, it was my first instrument and my woodwind playing actually ended on a borrowed tenor sax so it will be fun getting back to the beginnings of my love of music.

Welcome @jcannon - that must be a lovely place to live and Chilliwack should win a prize for the best place name ever !

Rhys

Welcome from another Grassi owner (tenor).

Massullo Music in Bby is where I would suggest taking it. Bit of a hike from Chjilliwack but worth it IMO

Back
Top Bottom