Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Quick Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Do I add a tenor
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="GrahamBaxter" data-source="post: 355769" data-attributes="member: 6057"><p>Just an update on my story. I found a second hand, apparently refurbished Selmer SA80-2. I bought it, with a fourteen day right of return. I have to say it looked absolutely immaculate. I could not find a single scratch, just the tiniest, tiniest dent which most people probably wouldn't notice. The mechanism was nice and tight with no slack, and it was dated 2003, SN6387XX. However, I couldn't play it to save my life. It would squeak at the slightest provocation. I assumed this was my beginners embouchure, and I struggled on with it until Monday when I could take it to my local tech to check over. Imagine my surprise when he found several leaks, and quoted me a substantial amount of money for him to put it right, but recommended I send it back and have the vendor fix it. I was in two minds about that, because I knew if my man fixed it, it would be perfect, but it would cost me. I went home to sleep on it, and in the meantime continued my hunt for another. After about a week I found a Yanagisawa T992. Again almost perfect, again it had been serviced prior to sale. This had one or two tiny scratches, but again you had to look very closely to find them so I decided I could live with it. And it was cheaper; the second hand price being in the same proportion to the new price as was the Selmer. And my fairly small hands fitted the keywork better. So I took this one to the tech and effectively gave him the choice. He did all the same checks and announced he could find nothing wrong with it; it was in perfect condition. So I sent the Selmer back and got a refund. I will never know if the Selmer got bumped in transit. I will give them the benefit of the doubt!</p><p>So, I am now the proud owner of a very nice Yani T992, SN 2698XX. Can anyone give me a clue as to its age?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="GrahamBaxter, post: 355769, member: 6057"] Just an update on my story. I found a second hand, apparently refurbished Selmer SA80-2. I bought it, with a fourteen day right of return. I have to say it looked absolutely immaculate. I could not find a single scratch, just the tiniest, tiniest dent which most people probably wouldn't notice. The mechanism was nice and tight with no slack, and it was dated 2003, SN6387XX. However, I couldn't play it to save my life. It would squeak at the slightest provocation. I assumed this was my beginners embouchure, and I struggled on with it until Monday when I could take it to my local tech to check over. Imagine my surprise when he found several leaks, and quoted me a substantial amount of money for him to put it right, but recommended I send it back and have the vendor fix it. I was in two minds about that, because I knew if my man fixed it, it would be perfect, but it would cost me. I went home to sleep on it, and in the meantime continued my hunt for another. After about a week I found a Yanagisawa T992. Again almost perfect, again it had been serviced prior to sale. This had one or two tiny scratches, but again you had to look very closely to find them so I decided I could live with it. And it was cheaper; the second hand price being in the same proportion to the new price as was the Selmer. And my fairly small hands fitted the keywork better. So I took this one to the tech and effectively gave him the choice. He did all the same checks and announced he could find nothing wrong with it; it was in perfect condition. So I sent the Selmer back and got a refund. I will never know if the Selmer got bumped in transit. I will give them the benefit of the doubt! So, I am now the proud owner of a very nice Yani T992, SN 2698XX. Can anyone give me a clue as to its age? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 637
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 668
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Sep 24, 2026
Replies: 67
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 864
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
The Official Off Topic Thread.
PigSquealer
Aug 4, 2025
Replies: 804
Saxophone word dissociation game
Pete Thomas
May 17, 2025
Replies: 2K
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 668
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 776
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Original vintage Buescher brochure and vintage ads
Latest Song of the Month
T
SOTM
SOTM October 2026 - The Chicken
Started by Taragot
Wednesday at 8:15 PM
Replies: 5
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 23
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,266
Messages
576,286
Members
8,085
Latest member
Pastor Paul
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Do I add a tenor
Back
Top
Bottom