support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Conn 12m baritone naked lady/lady face 1957

Yes, Shooting star left-side bell keys. Interesting. Thanks for the additional information. I've always wondered about the history of it and it's true origin. It's in really good shape and for a cheapie student model, it sounds good and seems fairly well made.

Yeah you know, back in the day I used to refurb and sell a LOT of Shooting Star 50M's (Altos) and 16M's (Tenors)....they are quite decent horns. People were happy wth 'em too.

Unfortunately, after the various economic implosions and meltdowns starting in '08, and the aftershocks since....people will not pay decent enough money for the Altos now; they roll their eyes at the mention of a Shooting Star alto, which is quite silly, really.
The market value of the Tenors has dropped some too, although for some reason they are still taken more seriously than the Altos.
Nowadays, it isn't worth it for me to actually refurb the altos any longer...which is sorta too bad because they are good little horns....
The Tenors still have a following, tho....

Around nov/dec 1968 I started to play the saxophone. My first sax was a Conn alto. I think it was a Nogales Conn. Would I become a better player if I started on a modern horn?

My interst for Nogales saxes is that UMI started to produce saxes down there when lots of other brands were outsourcing to Asia and Europe. I had some contact with the guys behind UMI.

Back
Top Bottom