Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Come on now, join the band....(Beginners blog)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="MikeMorrell" data-source="post: 552959" data-attributes="member: 4674"><p>Believe me, I do remember how it feels!</p><p></p><p>Again, I suggest you stay focused on how much you're improving. And again, it often takes months for 'new players' to a) get used to playing in any band and b) to gradually get used to playing the band's repertoire. So it's no surprise to me that there's still a 'gap' between your standard of playing and that of other band members, who have been playing the same repertoire for many more months or even years.</p><p></p><p>FWIW (even after playing in amateur bands for some 25 years), I'm still relatively slow at learning to play new pieces. Mostly because I don't practice enough. But over the years, I've learned that ' learning to play - for me challenging - new pieces' is perhaps 30% (or less) based on the sheet music, about 40% (or more) based on my 'musical memory' and about 30% on 'muscle memory' built up over many months and years of rehearsing and playing the same pieces. </p><p></p><p>So breaking this down, there are (the easier) parts of a new number that I can learn to play quite quickly. There are also 'tricky' parts that I can't (yet) play. Certainly not from sight-reading and not (yet) from musical memory (although I know that the 'tricky parts' are coming up). It takes time to practice and rehearse the 'tricky parts' over and over again to develop some muscle memory of how to play the 'tricky parts' . In my experience, I start off being completely dumfounded but what I see on the sheet music. Although I can read it slowly, I can't sight-read it at speed. The next step for me is 'fudging it': skipping over fast/difficult runs but managing to hit the main notes on time. The final stage is gradually learning to play the 'tricky parts' as written. And - in new pieces - I sometimes just get 'lost: I don't know where 'the band' are in the sheet music and I can't find any (audible) musical cues to help me. Often I can pick up on an 'audible cue' that l can relate to the sheet music but not always.</p><p></p><p>Based on my amateur experience, I think your approach is fine! Try and follow the music (by reading along) and just play along with the (easier) bits that you can. At least, this is the advice that my Big Band gives to any new player. It's a vote of confidence in you that you've been invited to play at this gig. IMHO, this confidence is at least in part based on your musical ability to judge when and where you can contribute. As I previously said, whenever you feel that you <em>can</em> contribute (even on just the 'easy bits') you contribute to the band and gain experience.</p><p></p><p>T.B.H., I think that if the band considered you to be an overconfident 'wild card' (trying to play 'parts' that you don't yet fully control, guessing at notes (and playing 'wrong notes' in pitch and/or timing), then I doubt whether you'd have been invited. My guess is that - whatever you do or don't play - you're considered a 'safe pair of hands'. And with the potential to become an established band member.</p><p></p><p>So be glad that this community band gives you all the time and opportunities you want to develop your 'band playing' experience. It sounds as if any 'anxiety/pressure' on your playing standard w.r.t. that of the band is your own rather than the band's.</p><p></p><p>Enjoy!</p><p></p><p>Mike</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="MikeMorrell, post: 552959, member: 4674"] Believe me, I do remember how it feels! Again, I suggest you stay focused on how much you're improving. And again, it often takes months for 'new players' to a) get used to playing in any band and b) to gradually get used to playing the band's repertoire. So it's no surprise to me that there's still a 'gap' between your standard of playing and that of other band members, who have been playing the same repertoire for many more months or even years. FWIW (even after playing in amateur bands for some 25 years), I'm still relatively slow at learning to play new pieces. Mostly because I don't practice enough. But over the years, I've learned that ' learning to play - for me challenging - new pieces' is perhaps 30% (or less) based on the sheet music, about 40% (or more) based on my 'musical memory' and about 30% on 'muscle memory' built up over many months and years of rehearsing and playing the same pieces. So breaking this down, there are (the easier) parts of a new number that I can learn to play quite quickly. There are also 'tricky' parts that I can't (yet) play. Certainly not from sight-reading and not (yet) from musical memory (although I know that the 'tricky parts' are coming up). It takes time to practice and rehearse the 'tricky parts' over and over again to develop some muscle memory of how to play the 'tricky parts' . In my experience, I start off being completely dumfounded but what I see on the sheet music. Although I can read it slowly, I can't sight-read it at speed. The next step for me is 'fudging it': skipping over fast/difficult runs but managing to hit the main notes on time. The final stage is gradually learning to play the 'tricky parts' as written. And - in new pieces - I sometimes just get 'lost: I don't know where 'the band' are in the sheet music and I can't find any (audible) musical cues to help me. Often I can pick up on an 'audible cue' that l can relate to the sheet music but not always. Based on my amateur experience, I think your approach is fine! Try and follow the music (by reading along) and just play along with the (easier) bits that you can. At least, this is the advice that my Big Band gives to any new player. It's a vote of confidence in you that you've been invited to play at this gig. IMHO, this confidence is at least in part based on your musical ability to judge when and where you can contribute. As I previously said, whenever you feel that you [I]can[/I] contribute (even on just the 'easy bits') you contribute to the band and gain experience. T.B.H., I think that if the band considered you to be an overconfident 'wild card' (trying to play 'parts' that you don't yet fully control, guessing at notes (and playing 'wrong notes' in pitch and/or timing), then I doubt whether you'd have been invited. My guess is that - whatever you do or don't play - you're considered a 'safe pair of hands'. And with the potential to become an established band member. So be glad that this community band gives you all the time and opportunities you want to develop your 'band playing' experience. It sounds as if any 'anxiety/pressure' on your playing standard w.r.t. that of the band is your own rather than the band's. Enjoy! Mike [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 637
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 657
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 844
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
The Official Off Topic Thread.
PigSquealer
Aug 4, 2025
Replies: 802
US/UK linguistics - different words and spelling
Ivan
Oct 2, 2014
Replies: 162
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Thursday at 12:21 PM
Replies: 44
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 657
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 757
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - Phil-tone Isotope tenor mouthpiece, 8*
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Latest Song of the Month
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 20
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
October 2025 - SOTM - Autumn In New York
Started by mrblackbat
Oct 1, 2025
Replies: 63
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,260
Messages
575,939
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Come on now, join the band....(Beginners blog)
Back
Top
Bottom