support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Clip-On Tuners and Stage Noise

They usually have two settings. Mic and vibration. Great for strings but useless on a horn if it's noisey.
Trust your ears

I had an issue over the weekend where being able to nip into the wings for a quick check would have made life much, much easier. For £20 I'm wondering if it's a useful weapon for the arsenal.

Like this ?

Technically yes, but definitely not for use on stage.

I have decided that for all acoustic instruments including saxthe best solution is Cleartune. IMHO it's magical for saxophones. It's a smartphone app. I can have it anywhere and for some strange reason when I tune with Cleartune I tune better. I don't know what's the science behind this but it works.
For guitars / bass etc. my choice is Polytune by TC Electronic. Great tuner ... I can tune muted ... strong leds for the ultra dark stage. You can even check quickly by strumming all strings upside down. It's insanely handy ....
Especially when you play in a steamy club ... you can actually see the leds ... and I really trust it. Being on the floor it's always there. Just mute and tune in seconds.

The clip-on Snark type tuners work well for guitars/basses, so I would think clipping onto the bell would work - I have one for my basses, so I will give it a try and report back.

I use Cleartune for cello and the Café sax ensemble as you can choose different tuning pitch/types/temperaments and transposition.

Tried to post last evening but anyway I use the Flash rechargeable tuner from Fender. its excellent on Bb horns ;)
No idea how it copes in noisy environs.
Main thing is its accurate, and rechargeable through ubiquitous USB.

The clip-on Snark type tuners work well for guitars/basses, so I would think clipping onto the bell would work - I have one for my basses, so I will give it a try and report back.

I bought a Snark (all instrument version) that turned up yesterday. When I tried it at home I found it worked perfectly using the vibrate option with it attached to the neck. This came as something of a surprise. Last night I tried it at a reasonably loud rehearsal and the vibration on neck option worked there, too. It wasn't rock band deafening, but it was still loud; well beyond the ability of a tuning app to have the slightest hope of working.

For me this is something of a game changer. Being able to check the tuning whenever I want without having to worry about getting everyone to stop playing/finding somewhere quiet - bliss.

What happens if you use some effects that get you out of tune. Note bending, reed squell, alternative fingerings, fluttertone/growl ..... ? I tried the guitarplayer clip-on tuner. According to the tuner I was out of tune all time. And that's true. But I don't need a clip-on tuner to confirm. The saxophone is big compromise when it's comes to tuning. A conical tube with just two octave pipes.

I just tune once before I play. I play on A=440 or the A that the acustic piano play. An ambitious saxplayer told the piano player (Steinway grand piano) the he was to high in the pitch. They use to tune a grand piano for jazz and clasical music so an A= 442 or 443. The piano player can't adjust the pitch so easy.

A pitch fork (A=440) or a chromatic pitch pipe is fine. No batteries. no headphones, no tuner microphone to blow into, no red or green dots .... . Like Colin wrote; trust your ears.

stämprylar.JPG

@Veggie Dave You sounds good on the videos you have posted. I wonder if you would sound different if you had some kind of tuner on you sax? I used to go to jam and play some pubrock. Small and crowded places, both on stage and on the floor. Used to be a guy that shout out (somtimes into mic as well) the songs he would like to hear. I think all kind of stage and crowd sound interrupt the pitch. I'm not going to turn these tuners down. If someone liks them and they make you feel more secure, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom