All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories Clip on tuners - any recommendations?

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Would appreciate any recommendations for a cheap clip on tuner

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
The Snark's work well, but are rather weak/easy to break and suffer from small batteries. My daughter loves hers, but the first got smashed towards the end of the first battery and I had to buy her a new one. Didn't try it on my sax, though.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
It is my understanding that there are some tuners that can stay clipped on to the sax and don't cause any damage is this true?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I use a westfield WF300. They were quite cheap but seem to be unavailable on amazon now. It has two settings. Clip, for guitars, banjo's ukelele etc and a built in mic for the sax and other wind.

Clipping any clip on tuner onto the sax isn't very efficient and can give false readings. Better results through the mic function.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Use a clip on to get the sax in tune, but playing with one on really looks naff and creates a bad impression. Apart from setting up the sax when you put your mouthpiece on, it should be in the case and out of sight for the rest of the session.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Use a clip on to get the sax in tune, but playing with one on really looks naff and creates a bad impression. Apart from setting up the sax when you put your mouthpiece on, it should be in the case and out of sight for the rest of the session.

Got to agree with Kev, I use a snark and clip it to my music stand at home, with orchestra we tune to oboe anyway.:)

Jx

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
My recommendation would be: don't do it. Use (and thereby train) your ears

baritonesax

Locality
Twickenham
Snarks are nice, but I agree with BigMartin - don't play for any length of time with one. By all means use it to confirm tuning first thing if it's unusually hot or cold, but then put it away and use your ears. Lockjaw Davis believed that tuning up was a sign of insecurity...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Darn! OK it works well enough to sound OK to me! I'll have to watch out for you in future!!!:)

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom