Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Chris' Beginners' Diary (Take II)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Chris98" data-source="post: 1581" data-attributes="member: 113"><p><strong>An Average Week - Day 1</strong></p><p></p><p>I thought I’d try something a little different this time and do a daily diary for a week, and breaking with convention I’m starting on a Tuesday, because that’s when I came up with the idea.</p><p></p><p><strong><u>Tuesday 6th October 6:45 - 9:00</u></strong></p><p></p><p>Tuesday evenings are the social side of my sax playing life, from 6:45 - 7:30 I go to SaxPak, a sax only band, (currently missing a Baritone player) and from 7:30 - 9:00 it’s the Swing Band. I have to be careful here as Mr PeeDee from the forum also attends these sessions and as I sit next to him, he must be painfully aware of my interesting note selection and timing issues! So alas I can’t go off on deluded visions of grandeur and will have to resort instead to the truth.</p><p></p><p>Timing is everything on these Tuesday evenings, if I eat too early I feel hungry during Swing Band, eat too late and I just don’t feel like playing, choice of food is equally important, anything greasy just isn’t nice and a light salad is insufficient, I’ve generally decided that pasta fits the bill well.</p><p></p><p>Tonight was the first SaxPak since July and we had a reasonably good turnout, 2 sopranos, 4 altos and at the back driving the whole thing forward, the 3 tenors, you can tell I’m one of the tenor players can’t you, along with PeeDee and Graham. Kate decided ABBA might be worth a go but was a little unsure how we would take it so tentatively offered round the music.</p><p></p><p>I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that playing the tenor in SaxPak is harder than I had initially expected. Because we have no baritone player the tenors provide all of the bottom end and if it’s a little flaky it stands out. There were a few humorous moments when a noticeable hole appeared, apparently the tenors were the only ones playing in that bar so if, as had happened, they'd fallen by the way side it was a little empty. To be fair we were sight reading the whole time and it was new music.</p><p></p><p>The Swing Band was good fun and the room was interestingly arranged this time with the four piece rhythm section facing the rest of us sax and brass players, normally they are behind us but I rather enjoyed getting the full blast this time. Jo is bringing in a few new arrangements each week and tonight we had ‘Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars’ and ‘Stompin’ At The Savoy’. Jo thought ‘Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars’ would be good to do after our success with ‘The Girl from Ipanema’. After a few initial teething problems with the beginning we were off, and I’m always amazed at how the lead players can just play new material as though they’d always been playing it, one day I hope to be able to pull that off.</p><p></p><p>The swing band is doing me good I’m sure, I’ve started to count out of necessity, as there is nothing more embarrassing than jumping back in a bar early when the trumpet solo is still going on. The first couple of times I relied on the visual clues of the players getting ready to come back in but it’s not a fail safe system.</p><p></p><p>I can’t remember which tune it was but we had just got to the bit where it was opened up for solos and Jo was looking round to see who the next taker was going to be, I was appreciating the tenor solo and then looked up only to catch Jo’s eye, so I quickly looked back to my music not wanting to give any indication that I was looking to do a solo.</p><p></p><p>At the end of the two and a quarter hours of playing I’m pretty sax-ed out and usually buzzing a bit from the feeling of being part of a band and making lot of noise!</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Chris98, post: 1581, member: 113"] [b]An Average Week - Day 1[/b] I thought I’d try something a little different this time and do a daily diary for a week, and breaking with convention I’m starting on a Tuesday, because that’s when I came up with the idea. [B][U]Tuesday 6th October 6:45 - 9:00[/U][/B] Tuesday evenings are the social side of my sax playing life, from 6:45 - 7:30 I go to SaxPak, a sax only band, (currently missing a Baritone player) and from 7:30 - 9:00 it’s the Swing Band. I have to be careful here as Mr PeeDee from the forum also attends these sessions and as I sit next to him, he must be painfully aware of my interesting note selection and timing issues! So alas I can’t go off on deluded visions of grandeur and will have to resort instead to the truth. Timing is everything on these Tuesday evenings, if I eat too early I feel hungry during Swing Band, eat too late and I just don’t feel like playing, choice of food is equally important, anything greasy just isn’t nice and a light salad is insufficient, I’ve generally decided that pasta fits the bill well. Tonight was the first SaxPak since July and we had a reasonably good turnout, 2 sopranos, 4 altos and at the back driving the whole thing forward, the 3 tenors, you can tell I’m one of the tenor players can’t you, along with PeeDee and Graham. Kate decided ABBA might be worth a go but was a little unsure how we would take it so tentatively offered round the music. I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that playing the tenor in SaxPak is harder than I had initially expected. Because we have no baritone player the tenors provide all of the bottom end and if it’s a little flaky it stands out. There were a few humorous moments when a noticeable hole appeared, apparently the tenors were the only ones playing in that bar so if, as had happened, they'd fallen by the way side it was a little empty. To be fair we were sight reading the whole time and it was new music. The Swing Band was good fun and the room was interestingly arranged this time with the four piece rhythm section facing the rest of us sax and brass players, normally they are behind us but I rather enjoyed getting the full blast this time. Jo is bringing in a few new arrangements each week and tonight we had ‘Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars’ and ‘Stompin’ At The Savoy’. Jo thought ‘Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars’ would be good to do after our success with ‘The Girl from Ipanema’. After a few initial teething problems with the beginning we were off, and I’m always amazed at how the lead players can just play new material as though they’d always been playing it, one day I hope to be able to pull that off. The swing band is doing me good I’m sure, I’ve started to count out of necessity, as there is nothing more embarrassing than jumping back in a bar early when the trumpet solo is still going on. The first couple of times I relied on the visual clues of the players getting ready to come back in but it’s not a fail safe system. I can’t remember which tune it was but we had just got to the bit where it was opened up for solos and Jo was looking round to see who the next taker was going to be, I was appreciating the tenor solo and then looked up only to catch Jo’s eye, so I quickly looked back to my music not wanting to give any indication that I was looking to do a solo. At the end of the two and a quarter hours of playing I’m pretty sax-ed out and usually buzzing a bit from the feeling of being part of a band and making lot of noise! [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 637
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 645
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 842
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
US/UK linguistics - different words and spelling
Ivan
Oct 2, 2014
Replies: 162
Who sparked your love of Sax music
jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
What is “Politics”?
skeller047
Sep 14, 2026
Replies: 43
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 645
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 757
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - Phil-tone Isotope tenor mouthpiece, 8*
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Latest Song of the Month
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 20
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
October 2025 - SOTM - Autumn In New York
Started by mrblackbat
Oct 1, 2025
Replies: 63
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,258
Messages
575,882
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Chris' Beginners' Diary (Take II)
Back
Top
Bottom