Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Quick Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
*Cafe Fund Raiser* - A good will tale of a Baritone looking for love.
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Saxlicker" data-source="post: 641390" data-attributes="member: 73"><p>In the near future a Pan American (Conn Stencil) Baritone will be offered in the yard sale.</p><p>Importantly, the sale is about good will, and largely some fund raising for the Cafe.</p><p></p><h3><strong>Are you interested in getting involved? If so please read on.</strong></h3><p>Here is the tale.</p><p>Some months ago, as I browsed the shelves of a music shop I was asked by one of the sales team if I knew the value of a certain used mouthpiece.</p><p>Well thats a different story I don’t want to detract from this thread except to say, I gave a very conservative figure to the new owners who had inherited a musical pile of stuff from a late relative, knowing that with the right market it could be worth considerably more and I gave them my number incase they needed any more help. That was my sole involvement.</p><p></p><p>Here we are some months later with the dust settling and they contacted me.</p><p>The main quest was to help them understand what Baritone sax they had.</p><p>As the discussion evolved it became clear that they would have to spend more time, energy and a bit of money than they had in order to move on bulky item that didn’t mean much to them.</p><p>With good causes in mind over a few conversations I got the go ahead to see if we could launch a double pronged attack on having the new owner see a modest amount for their trouble and the rest of any proceeds being donated to the cafe.</p><p>All of this while making the saxophone an attractive price for a new owner to complete a circle of good will.</p><p></p><p>Well, this was all a nice idea but the condition of the Baritone was as yet unknown to me.</p><p>I approached Pete Thomas with the theoretical idea to help the Cafe financially and he welcomed it in the face of continuing financial battle to keep the Cafe running without a loss.</p><p>I also contacted Steve Howard who I’m sure needs no introduction here to see if I could perhaps lean on him a little for the cause and help us out ensuring the thing would play ok.</p><p>Naturally Steve was quite sceptical about an old Baritone that none of us had seen, fearing it may require some expensive work. I completely understood and the Baritone that was due to arrive at my door could be a complete basket case. Either way Steve generously offered to take an initial look at it.</p><p></p><p>Roll on to it’s arrival and I was pleasantly surprised. No horror stories that I could see but none the less it needed to be looked at by someone who would really know.</p><p>I made my way over to see Steve who I haven’t seen in a long time. Great to catch up a bit and to see him tutting away at a couple of leaks on Selmer Reference 36 Tenor on his bench.</p><p>As soon as he had a moment to free himself from that we took a look at the baritone together.</p><p></p><p>First of all the case is shaped croc skin Selmer case thats completely intact but all baritones deserve better. Baritone players will no doubt be familiar with the manipulation required to close or open all the catches on something like this and the limited internal padding.</p><p>Opening the case I tried to see through Steve’s poker face to make sure he wasn’t going to run in the other direction and out of the door. He took it out and I soon got the impression that this was something that wasn’t going to conjure thoughts of “what have I got myself into now”.</p><p>After a quick blast up and down and another look, we came to a conclusion.</p><p>A good conclusion.</p><p></p><p>In short, it’s been pretty well looked after and has clearly been played a lot, with some lower body battle scars and lacquer is redone but mechanically it’s decent, regulation is pretty good for the most part and on the whole its a nice bit of kit thats about 80% good as it is.</p><p>I’ve left it with Steve.</p><p>He is very kindly contributing to the fund raising and the thought process is, a bit of a clean and lubricate, a pad or 2 and a look at a tone hole or 2 before this thing reaches the yard sale.</p><p>From there on, someone should just play it until the pads are trashed. Then get it sorted. So we are not looking at an overhauled 100% . Instead something tidy in good playing condition that will get someone up and running. It will be priced at the lower end accordingly.</p><p></p><p>Currently I’m hoping to find an inexpensive mouthpiece to go with it if anybody has any ideas.</p><p>As I’ve mentioned already, the owner gets a little for their trouble, the Cafe gets the rest. There are no middle man or maintenance proceeds. So to complete the cycle, this should be an attractive price.</p><p></p><p>Are you looking at your first footsteps into the Baritone world?</p><p>Do you know of an aspiring Gerry Mulligan, Ronnie Cuber or Dana Colley that needs a helping hand?</p><p>If you wish to know more about it especially if you have an eye on buying please feel free to message me before it hits the yard sale.</p><p>Here is the big caveat, the case and bulk of the item makes it undesirable to ship.</p><p>Collection in Hampshire UK is ideal but I’m not averse to helping with some kind of meet up to reduce your your travelling distance.</p><p>But all comments welcome in this thread.</p><p>I think Steve will make some comments photo contributions here as and when.....</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Saxlicker, post: 641390, member: 73"] In the near future a Pan American (Conn Stencil) Baritone will be offered in the yard sale. Importantly, the sale is about good will, and largely some fund raising for the Cafe. [HEADING=2][B]Are you interested in getting involved? If so please read on.[/B][/HEADING] Here is the tale. Some months ago, as I browsed the shelves of a music shop I was asked by one of the sales team if I knew the value of a certain used mouthpiece. Well thats a different story I don’t want to detract from this thread except to say, I gave a very conservative figure to the new owners who had inherited a musical pile of stuff from a late relative, knowing that with the right market it could be worth considerably more and I gave them my number incase they needed any more help. That was my sole involvement. Here we are some months later with the dust settling and they contacted me. The main quest was to help them understand what Baritone sax they had. As the discussion evolved it became clear that they would have to spend more time, energy and a bit of money than they had in order to move on bulky item that didn’t mean much to them. With good causes in mind over a few conversations I got the go ahead to see if we could launch a double pronged attack on having the new owner see a modest amount for their trouble and the rest of any proceeds being donated to the cafe. All of this while making the saxophone an attractive price for a new owner to complete a circle of good will. Well, this was all a nice idea but the condition of the Baritone was as yet unknown to me. I approached Pete Thomas with the theoretical idea to help the Cafe financially and he welcomed it in the face of continuing financial battle to keep the Cafe running without a loss. I also contacted Steve Howard who I’m sure needs no introduction here to see if I could perhaps lean on him a little for the cause and help us out ensuring the thing would play ok. Naturally Steve was quite sceptical about an old Baritone that none of us had seen, fearing it may require some expensive work. I completely understood and the Baritone that was due to arrive at my door could be a complete basket case. Either way Steve generously offered to take an initial look at it. Roll on to it’s arrival and I was pleasantly surprised. No horror stories that I could see but none the less it needed to be looked at by someone who would really know. I made my way over to see Steve who I haven’t seen in a long time. Great to catch up a bit and to see him tutting away at a couple of leaks on Selmer Reference 36 Tenor on his bench. As soon as he had a moment to free himself from that we took a look at the baritone together. First of all the case is shaped croc skin Selmer case thats completely intact but all baritones deserve better. Baritone players will no doubt be familiar with the manipulation required to close or open all the catches on something like this and the limited internal padding. Opening the case I tried to see through Steve’s poker face to make sure he wasn’t going to run in the other direction and out of the door. He took it out and I soon got the impression that this was something that wasn’t going to conjure thoughts of “what have I got myself into now”. After a quick blast up and down and another look, we came to a conclusion. A good conclusion. In short, it’s been pretty well looked after and has clearly been played a lot, with some lower body battle scars and lacquer is redone but mechanically it’s decent, regulation is pretty good for the most part and on the whole its a nice bit of kit thats about 80% good as it is. I’ve left it with Steve. He is very kindly contributing to the fund raising and the thought process is, a bit of a clean and lubricate, a pad or 2 and a look at a tone hole or 2 before this thing reaches the yard sale. From there on, someone should just play it until the pads are trashed. Then get it sorted. So we are not looking at an overhauled 100% . Instead something tidy in good playing condition that will get someone up and running. It will be priced at the lower end accordingly. Currently I’m hoping to find an inexpensive mouthpiece to go with it if anybody has any ideas. As I’ve mentioned already, the owner gets a little for their trouble, the Cafe gets the rest. There are no middle man or maintenance proceeds. So to complete the cycle, this should be an attractive price. Are you looking at your first footsteps into the Baritone world? Do you know of an aspiring Gerry Mulligan, Ronnie Cuber or Dana Colley that needs a helping hand? If you wish to know more about it especially if you have an eye on buying please feel free to message me before it hits the yard sale. Here is the big caveat, the case and bulk of the item makes it undesirable to ship. Collection in Hampshire UK is ideal but I’m not averse to helping with some kind of meet up to reduce your your travelling distance. But all comments welcome in this thread. I think Steve will make some comments photo contributions here as and when..... [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 278
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Sep 24, 2026
Replies: 89
Saxophone word dissociation game
Pete Thomas
May 17, 2025
Replies: 2K
Saxophones, rarely discussed
wakyct
Sep 27, 2026
Replies: 132
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 640
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 685
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 779
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 872
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 779
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 685
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 465
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Original vintage Buescher brochure and vintage ads
Latest Song of the Month
T
SOTM
SOTM October 2026 - The Chicken
Started by Taragot
Sep 30, 2026
Replies: 7
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 23
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,285
Messages
576,764
Members
8,092
Latest member
carlraven
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
*Cafe Fund Raiser* - A good will tale of a Baritone looking for love.
Back
Top
Bottom