• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Brass finishes

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I have been experimenting for some time with creating different finishes for saxophones. Recently I have discovered a company in the U.S. that makes chemicals for creating different colors and shades of patinas on brass that work at room temperature.

Below are some photos of some "raw" saxophone keys that have been given different finishes. The initial "brushed" satin finish is done with the 3M wheel in a bench motor. It takes less than a minute per key using this method. The smaller dremel wheels are great for places the big wheel can't reach. I purchased both at Rio Grande jewelry supply. The last step which is bringing out the "highlights" after the patina has been added is done by hand lightly wiping the finish in one direction using the 3M fine abrasive pad. I get these at my local hardware store.

It has been a lot of fun to experiment and try some new things. I will post a picture or two of a Martin Tenor I am working on that will get one of these looks (with a coat of carnauba wax on top to help protect the finish).







 
I have a lot of dremel tools but have never come across these,must keep my eye out for them or the 3m wheel for that matter the fine cloth looks like one of our pan scouring cloths .... john
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great look. How much do these processes cost?

If you mean what I would charge to do a saxophone. It would add at least $200 to the price of a complete overhaul since it adds about 8 hours to the total time spent.

Looks interesting.
Have you tried dipping some buffed brass?
I am curious about the chemicals. Maybe they are available in Europe too.

Its interesting that the buffed key I tried came out exactly like the satin brushed key---both in the second and third steps. If you do a search for "brass patina" you will find that there are lots of formulas and sources out there. In amounts large enough to do a saxophone, the shipping to the UK would be cost prohibitive from the company I used in the U.S.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,003
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom