I mentioned this briefly somewhere but wanted to post separately for comments. I have the time this morning because my bocal is being reliégé and I can't get it until the repair guy opens at 10.
I've experimented with a couple of mouthpieces. One of them requires more breath strength than the other. A week or so ago, after changing from the harder to play to the easier, I noticed the reed was "choking", it felt like I was overblowing it. So I figured, what the heck, let's try a 3. Lo and behold it was comfortable! I've been playing on the 3 Vandoren (blue) for the week and find it to be better sounding and I think my breathing has improved. This is a moment almost equivalent to the first time I ___________. (Fill in whatever you can think of there that feels good.) As a newbie on this forum, I think I asked about moving up in force. I thought it was a thing you were supposed to aspire to, more pro, experienced and all that. I was told by the experienced denizens that that wasn't the case, you just use whatever works and if it's a 2 or a 2 1/2, there's no problem with that. Some keep using it forever. Besides wanting to play what I hear and sound better, I'm always pleased to discover these new, wind instrument-only phenomena. If you have thoughts, go for it, it's time for me to go pick up my recorked neck.
Cheers!
I've experimented with a couple of mouthpieces. One of them requires more breath strength than the other. A week or so ago, after changing from the harder to play to the easier, I noticed the reed was "choking", it felt like I was overblowing it. So I figured, what the heck, let's try a 3. Lo and behold it was comfortable! I've been playing on the 3 Vandoren (blue) for the week and find it to be better sounding and I think my breathing has improved. This is a moment almost equivalent to the first time I ___________. (Fill in whatever you can think of there that feels good.) As a newbie on this forum, I think I asked about moving up in force. I thought it was a thing you were supposed to aspire to, more pro, experienced and all that. I was told by the experienced denizens that that wasn't the case, you just use whatever works and if it's a 2 or a 2 1/2, there's no problem with that. Some keep using it forever. Besides wanting to play what I hear and sound better, I'm always pleased to discover these new, wind instrument-only phenomena. If you have thoughts, go for it, it's time for me to go pick up my recorked neck.
Cheers!
