support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What's on your Saxophone Santa List ?

Fraser Jarvis

Well after talking about things to get with my Daughter all i could come up with was a new pot of cork grease and one of those rather neat Neotech saxpack pouch things to replace the woolly sock i currently use to store my neck in when it's in the case, they look really good with a padded compartment for the neck plus two extra ones for the mouthpiece and spare reeds.

Now in my other incarnation as a fixed gear cyclist i can think of many goodies to make me faster, just to give an idea, a carbon disk back wheel for one of these things is around £1400:w00t: so any donations would be really appreciated:thumb:

The list is links to internetssites!
1. Plasticovers baritone reeds # 5. I can't find them in Sweden. Not even in the worlds largest saxshop?!?!
2. Haynes Sax manual (SH).
3. Pete Thomas Saxophone History and Taiming The Saxophone. I'm collecting saxophone books and I must have these books (SH & PT).

Thomas

I bought myself a brand new tenor saxophone!

It's on the way in Santa's sleigh! Yule Tide Express!

bliss.gif

I think this is the lentil powered one.... Should be some good, but less than subtle, sub tones there.

Truly. :)))

I have no clue why I'm buying a second saxophone. I can't even play the alto I already have. Like Old Git, what I truly need is some dog gone talent. I've come a very long way from not being able to play a single note to actually being able to play scales and even sight-read simple melodies. I'm even learning to improv which sounds a darn sight better than trying to play existing sheet music.

But even so, nothing truly sounds 'musical' to me. My very best recordings, when I'm on a roll, are the kind that after I listen to them all I can do is shake my head and wonder if there will ever come a day when I will actually be able to play music? Or even anything that sounds remotely similar to music.

And here I am buying a second larger horn. :rolleyes:

I think I'm just addicted to buying instruments. Either that or I have a subconscious desire to make absolutely certain that no new neighbors will move in.

+1 (or, to be more exact- an extra, uninterupted hour every day to practice).....
More gigs.
A good, funky hammond organ player to jam with.
Mastery of my loop station (tricky little B*gger that it is).

I have plenty of practice time and I use it up too. If practice was key I should be really good by now.

I think the "more gigs" is the real key. The only problem is that I'm not good enough yet to actually gig, and that's a big problem. What I need are other musicians to play with in practice jams. But it's hard to get in that situation until you can play. So it's kind of a catch 22. What I need is exposure to playing with other musicians, but that seems to be out of reach until I can play, and I'll never be able to play until I get that exposure.

:doh:

Maybe what I really need to ask Santa for is a good teacher and some other students to play with. If money was no issue I'd enroll in a music school.

But then again, being full of lentils I might have GAS in more than one way, and that might not be socially acceptable.

More gigs.

Probably not that (having just done the last 4 nights and have another 5 before Christmas).

A better match between what I end up having to play and what I like to listen to would be nice. Unlikely to happen since it may well involve something along the lines of a Van Der Graaf Generator tribute band.

A better match between what I end up having to play and what I like to listen to would be nice. Unlikely to happen since it may well involve something along the lines of a Van Der Graaf Generator tribute band.
Ger-off- If there's a Van Der Graaf Generator tribute band I want first dibs! Actually The Sandy Dillon band pretty much ticks my boxes- a chaotic mix of filthy bar room R&B and free jazz plus some great ballads too, for my saw and bass clarinet.....
By the way- a question for you- do you have a copy of Tim Blake's New Jerusalem- I got cravings to listen to it theo ther day and its impossible ot track down- I thought a chap like yourself might just possibly have a copy?

Musically I've reached saturation point - all instruments, mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures, music and so on. I'll just have to replenish my whisky collection (some Ardberg or Lagavullin, or perhaps some Auchentoshan).

Been thinking of getting some basic recording equipment - suggestions welcome!

Santa Came!

It came! It came!

woowoo.gif

The tenor came today. It's absolutely beautiful. :welldone

I was able to set it up and play it straight-away. I'm impressed, it doesn't feel all that much different from the Alto actually (I mean in terms of fingering and playability). Everything I've learned on the Alto just automatically rolls over. So that's great!

Of course, it's in Bb now instead of Eb so I'll have to deal with either changing backing tracks or learning the new fingering to transpose into the correct key. I'll deal with that later. I also play trumpet so I'm familiar with Bb and I have backing tracks for that too.

This is great! I LOVE IT!

It is heavy though! I mean, compared to the Alto. I also can't rest it on the chair I'm sitting on like I've been doing with the Alto, so it's a tad bit more awkward in that respect. I'll either have to play it standing up, or holding it off to the side when sitting down. But I'm sure I'll get used to this new beast.

The other really positive thing is that after having played the tenor for a while picking up the Alto again is like driving a sports car! This is going to really make the Alto fly in comparison. So it's going to be really cool practicing both of these horns side-by-side.

Getting this tenor was a good move! I was starting to worry that I might have bought an instrument that I'll never really play much. But now that I've had some hands-on play time I know I did the right thing buying this tenor.

This is really cool. :mrcool

woowoo.gif

Back
Top Bottom