support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wayne Shorter documentary, "Zero Gravity", now on Prime Video!

Well, I watched all 3 parts of this documentary last night.

VERY interesting filled with some really great stuff.

I'll definitely listen to more of his solo stuff and with Miles (I knew him mostly from Weather Report).

The documentary is worth a watch is you haven't already...ya dig?

Watched the documentary at the weekend: as much as I admire his music (I was already aware of his music genius) I found more interesting understanding his humanity, his optimism (even in the face of tragedy), philosophy on life and everything else around him. A great documentary spoilt by the usual pointless shots of actors portraying him in his youth.

Watched the documentary at the weekend: as much as I admire his music (I was already aware of his music genius) I found more interesting understanding his humanity, his optimism (even in the face of tragedy), philosophy on life and everything else around him. A great documentary spoilt by the usual pointless shots of actors portraying him in his youth.
Well said! I had no idea that he went through so many personal challenges. I just finished the documentary last night and really enjoyed it. The producers did a fine job. I especially liked the way they spilt his musical career into three phases (“portals”). I feel so fortunate to have caught his quartet in 2013; what an amazing experience that was.

However, “spoilt” is probably a bit harsh regarding the use of actors portraying younger versions of Shorter. Unnecessary, definitely; pointless, very likely; spoilt, no, I really don’t think so. As you said, it was a great documentary. Sorry to split hairs!

Well said! I had no idea that he went through so many personal challenges. I just finished the documentary last night and really enjoyed it. The producers did a fine job. I especially liked the way they spilt his musical career into three phases (“portals”). I feel so fortunate to have caught his quartet in 2013; what an amazing experience that was.

However, “spoilt” is probably a bit harsh regarding the use of actors portraying younger versions of Shorter. Unnecessary, definitely; pointless, very likely; spoilt, no, I really don’t think so. As you said, it was a great documentary. Sorry to split hairs!
Agreed, "spoilt" was too harsh a word! Let's go with "unnecessary", thank you Aaron.

BTW.: the only time I caught Wayne Shorter live was with the "Tribute to Miles" Quintet at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 199something... I was blown away by his playing!

Agreed, "spoilt" was too harsh a word! Let's go with "unnecessary", thank you Aaron.

BTW.: the only time I caught Wayne Shorter live was with the "Tribute to Miles" Quintet at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 199something... I was blown away by his playing!
That must have been a great show! I believe I remember hearing that quintet on record and being blown away. Though I've always been drawn to Shorter's playing, I LOVE his composing! He's right up there with Ellington and Mingus, in my opinion.

I saw him twice, once with Carlos Santana when he didn’t really seem all that interested and once with his quartet, once of his last gigs I think, where he really wanted to play his latest compositions which were like chamber music but the audience generally had come to hear him play jazz and improvise and he picked up on this and gave a great couple of solos.

Too bad this is on Amazon Prime but I suppose I’ll have to give in eventually if I want to see it.

Last edited: