support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Backing Tracks The snake

A moral tale about the inadvisability of befriending poisonous reptiles.
I'm not sure that an instrumental version without the words would have quite the same punch.

I haven't played this but I have heard it's quite a charming song.
Hey happy Easter..I think it would sound good on tenor..Issue is its in a minor key..really surprised as it's so upbeat..and there are 3 key changes..would these be relected on the sheet music? I would also have to transcribe...its in d minor in karaoke version and c minor in music notes..

A moral tale about the inadvisability of befriending poisonous reptiles.
I'm not sure that an instrumental version without the words would have quite the same punch.
Hi happy Easter..or men as they are otherwise known huh...lol..I love the tune think its one of those that creates passion in my playing..

Issue is its in a minor key..really surprised as it's so upbeat.
A woman takes in a snake. The snake bites the woman. She complains and dies. The snake replies "You knew I was a snake".
I wouldn't describe it as upbeat. Except, possibly, from the snake's point of view.

A woman takes in a snake. The snake bites the woman. She complains and dies. The snake replies "You knew I was a snake".
I wouldn't describe it as upbeat. Except, possibly, from the snake's point of view.
Think the snakes a man..do you not think the tune (if not the words) is upbeat..I thought Minor keys would be songs such as cohens hallelulja..

Last edited:
I think it's rather up-beat.

The song starts in Dm (F), raised to Ebm (Gb) and ends in Em(G). G, G# and A if you are not reading and think in sharps as I do. Tenor. Hope I got it right.

The horn section is important on "The Snake". The horns are punchy and in the front of the mix

I think it's rather up-beat.

The song starts in Dm (F), raised to Ebm (Gb) and ends in Em(G). G, G# and A if you are not reading and think in sharps as I do. Tenor. Hope I got it right.

The horn section is important on "The Snake". The horns are punchy and in the front of the mix
Think it could work as a solo...with a decent backing track...

IMO the melody is too short and way too repetitive to work as in instrumental except as a vehicle for improvisation. Even then the lack of much harmonic variation may not be helpful. 16 bar verse and almost identical 8 bar chorus. Works very well with the words telling a story, but not without the words.

Think it could work as a solo...with a decent backing track...
You can play all songs on your sax. I used to do that as well. But it was maybe just one verse and chorus? I learned that it's a big difference between the music I listen to/like and the music I can play.

When I asked musicians about what to play they use to say: Chuck Berry, The Rollings Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf .... . Keep it short. Play the single (7 inch) versions use to be 2:30-3:00 minutes long. Drm, bass, 2 x guitar and one sax and not particular good on our instruments. We compensated that with energy and joy.

One of our singers wanted to do "Ain't That A Lot Of Love" (Taj Mahal version). Also a so called "Northern Soul" song. We already did Spencer Davis "Gimme Some Loving'".

If you like "The Snake" learn the verse and chorus. Maybe you can play other songs in the same way. Do your own backing track (cut and paste) and called it "Ed's medley".

I have come to the conclusion that "less is always more".

"Keep on Honking' " and Happy Easter !!

View: https://youtu.be/lQYff61-41M?si=iT0oue7l_KMj8mrq

Last edited:
Hey thanks @thomsax happy Easter...Trouble with asking questions is listening to answers sometimes huh...funny the medley thing my mates been wanting to do one to perform in the care home and i was adamant it wasnt a good idea..think ive been a bit flat on the sax for a while not played for nearly 2 weeks 1 week away but little enthusiasm and no direction, stuck...think on reflection the song motivated me to pick up the sax again..doesnt mean it will sound right...which was my original question..

unny the medley thing my mates been wanting to do one to perform in the care home and i was adamant it wasnt a good idea
Medley in an old folks home would definitely work but you have to choose the songs carefully maintain a nice flow. It will definitely work to do an old time singalong but probably becoming less and less useful as fewer people know the oldies like Pack up Your Troubles, Red Red Robbin, Long Way to Tipperary, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

I echo Pete in that to make this sound ok without vocals will need lots and lots of inflections and also cut down by a lot, with a rip roaring solo to boot.

Too repetitive over one chord.

Medley in an old folks home would definitely work but you have to choose the songs carefully maintain a nice flow. It will definitely work to do an old time singalong but probably becoming less and less useful as fewer people know the oldies like Pack up Your Troubles, Red Red Robbin, Long Way to Tipperary, Roll Out the Barrel etc.
Hey thanks..I just stick with a choice from my 20 songs, jambalaya, hello dolly, chatanooga choo choo, songs like that. Im lucky i work for a large housing assosiation with a variety of sheltered schemes..the last one they requested one step beyond lucky my mate knew it..lol..they were a faairly diverse bunch from 60 to 105 yo..wish i could download the vid..