support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Heavy Geetarist

I want to be able to play my saxophone loud and make it really scream! All I seem to do is try and play quietly for fear of upsetting someone and i'm so bored of that, it's inhibiting.

Try to find a place to play louder than that. Otherwise your breath support will not develop as it should.
"screaming" sax sounds though can be achived by a nice set of effects, like growling, altissimo etc... it's not just how hard you blow....

I spent a lot of time is noisy R&B bands specifically wanting to have my monitors set very slightly too low; it’s was far easier to get the authentic big, fat R&B tone if I was forced to push myself marginally harder than I would normally. In a well monitored situation, having to hold back slightly for fear of drowning myself out in the monitors was terrible for my sound in that sort of context (I’m talking specifically about a full on R&B scream here)

I want to be able to play my saxophone loud and make it really scream! All I seem to do is try and play quietly for fear of upsetting someone and i'm so bored of that, it's inhibiting.
Don't the immediate neighbours ever leave the house for shopping etc. so you could be ready to have a quick blast?

Try to find a place to play louder than that. Otherwise your breath support will not develop as it should.
"screaming" sax sounds though can be achived by a nice set of effects, like growling, altissimo etc... it's not just how hard you blow....
Yes, I appreciate that...

Try to play outdoors. I used to practise a lot outdoors. It's the best way to add some Texas into your sound. Play your excercises outdoor (graden, park, .... ) and play with "full volume and timbre. Play some of your favourite songs/solos outdoor. You would probably discover that you need harder reeds and wider tip openings as well. And perhaps also new play mates . I played a lot outdoors in the early 80´s. The guys in the big band I played in back then, didn't like the way I blew my sax after a summer playing my sax in the garden.

Have you considered joining something like a community wind band or similar? You'll be able to let rip from time-to-time there...

Try to play outdoors. I used to practise a lot outdoors. It's the best way to add some Texas into your sound. Play your excercises outdoor (graden, park, .... ) and play with "full volume and timbre. Play some of your favourite songs/solos outdoor. You would probably discover that you need harder reeds and wider tip openings as well. And perhaps also new play mates . I played a lot outdoors in the early 80´s. The guys in the big band I played in back then, didn't like the way I blew my sax after a summer playing my sax in the garden.
You must have different sized gardens in Sweden, here playing outside would be a way to annoy more neighbours quicker.

Have you considered joining something like a community wind band or similar? You'll be able to let rip from time-to-time there...
Yes, I need to be a certain grade and I haven't taken any grades yet. We have one big band, Jazz, in my town and I would like to become a part of it as soon as I'm considered good enough.

Some community bands take all-comers and you don't need to be a specific grade.

The community orchestra I first played in was like that - it ran several groups, some aimed specifically at beginners or less experienced players

Back
Top Bottom