Photo contest

Teaching

Col

I've been asked several times now to teach the kids of friends but having trouble deciding whether to or not.

The problem is that although I've been playing 20years or so I haven't any qualifications. The parents have heard me often though at local gigs and CD. I teach my kids but they're not that interest yet, these kids really want to learn and their schools know of no local sax teachers.

Questions are: do you need qualifications to teach? (I'll obviously get a CRB check),
do you know any good resources?
And should I charge, and if so how much?

You don't need qualifications to teach (but you need to be confident in your knowledge) I teach with Grade 6 TG Jazz Sax, (and also having played classical flute and piano since childhood with a few grades under my belt). I also did a jazz adult evening class for 3 years (that was a lucky find because they are like hens teeth! unfortunately it was pulled due to lack of numbers :shocked:),

For my own peace of mind I also took PTLLS (a Level 4 C&G teaching adults qualification) and did an online teaching course with ABRSM - both very useful to help understand how people learn and how to plan and structure lessons. I am a member of the MU so have public liability insurance, and also they can give you advice whenever you need it, they can also advise you how to get a CRB (which you can't get yourself). I only teach adults out of choice but am lucky that there only seem to be a tiny number of us who can also teach jazz/rock/pop etc as well classical as in my area so am gaining more and more students now. I think it's also very helpful to have gigged because a lot of my students want to try jams and eventually play in bands.

The MU suggested teaching rates are to begin at around £30 per hour :shocked: but in practice that's more a rate for top teachers/performers. They do strongly suggest you don't undercut though even as a beginner teacher. I charge £20.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest looking at web site for places such as ABRSM / TG etc. and what they advocate for teaching etc.

Only institutions can request/require CRB checks - you can't "check yourself" and post "I'm CRB checked".

What are you like with kids? Do they respond well to you? My three all have different teachers, and in a couple of cases have had more than one for each instrument. One thing that's clear to me is that their willingness to work / practice is directly related to the teacher's personality, not playing ability....

Try to stop thinking that "teaching" is implanting your knowledge in others. There will be a rote part but from then onwards, try to lead your clients to discover what you feel you need to get across. If you can make it easy for clients to make new knowledge their own, you will be excellent. Finally, there are as many ways of coaching, which should be the aim, as clients and clients do not fail, you do.

Wish you every success.

Yes, OG's point is a very good paraphrase of Kahlil Gibran's statement in The Prophet about teaching. If you are going to teach adults, you have to realise they learn differently to children and the same things won't always work for both.

Good luck
YC

Wow, thank you everyone for your help and advice. It's what I've come to appreciate and expect from this forum!

My wife is encouraging me as she says I'm patient with kids and good at getting at their level (which is code for I'm childish ;})

I'm going to research this more. My last teacher lived in Wandsworth and was a semi-retired wine trader by profession with sax teaching as a side-line, that's ideally where I'd like to be in a few years time.

Even though semi-retired and not a wine trader I still don't want to be in Wandsworth.

Tut, Tut, Young Col I had my second dog trained in Wandsworth and it turned out a very fine speciman (Called him Muzzle Toff) Ist place hanging by his teeth from lower tree branches. (Wimbledon Common Chapter.) Rosette in the chasing postman stakes and a recommendation for rolling over on his back with an ice cream cornet between his paws,(Slightly disturbed but still quite cuddly mastiff section) and you still don`t want to be in Wandsworth.:( Regds. why will Crufts not accept `Muzzy` for the canine equestrian event? N.