Photo contest

Mouthpieces Stock alto Yani mouthpiece #

DJade

Hi. Does anyone know what # mouthpiece comes with the Yani A-902 as standard? I got a #3 Yani ebonite with mine, used, not the stock one originally sold with the sax.

I can't find the #3 on any charts, but when I look at the Yanagisawa website, it puts the tip opening at 143mm, which is equivalent to a 56.3. How does this compare to the Yamaha 3C, out of interest?

Normally comes with a 6, which is itself a fairly small tip opening. I think Yanagisawa ebonite mouthpieces are very good, and better than the plastic yamaha ones. A 3 tip opening is extremely small - it must be like blowing through the eye of a needle.

Hey again DJ ...

My A992 [bought in 2010] came with an Ebonite 7 ...

My T9932J [Also bought in 2010] came with an Ebonite 7 ...

I agree with jonf - Yanagisawa Ebonite mouthpieces are very good indeed ...

I have Yanagisawa Metal 7 Alto and 8 for Tenor ... :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
My A5 came with a #3. Perfect for beginners. I find it quite free blowing. The Yamaha 3c is 150 mm (actually 1.50) compared to 143mm (or 1.43) so the difference is hardly noticeable.

Hi. Does anyone know what # mouthpiece comes with the Yani A-902 as standard? I got a #3 Yani ebonite with mine, used, not the stock one originally sold with the sax.

I can't find the #3 on any charts, but when I look at the Yanagisawa website, it puts the tip opening at 143mm, which is equivalent to a 56.3. How does this compare to the Yamaha 3C, out of interest?

You may have already found these, but sax.co.uk have mouthpiece tip opening comparison charts. This is the alto one:
http://sax.co.uk/altotipopening.html

Thanks for all the replies.

A 3 tip opening is extremely small - it must be like blowing through the eye of a needle.

I'm actually having a bit of a rough time getting a nice sound with anything using the octave key - everything from low C to middle C sounds great, although low C can be a bit shaky at times and, strangely and infuriatingly, I run out of puff during the C in the second bar of |C D E D| CC EE| when it's all slurred when I'm doing scales. It could just be my embouchure but I'm now wondering whether the tip opening is holding me back.

I was using Vandoren tradional 2.5s for years and have moved on to 3s on the advice of my teacher. I've found notes above mid-C are easier to play/sound better than with 2.5s and I might try a 3.5 later on, but still wonder whether the tip opening is a big factor.

Actually, this might be better asked in a different thread. :blush:

Thanks. I've had a look at that already and noticed it didn't have the Yani 3 or 4 on it. :(

It's shown on Yanagisawa's own website. See http://www.yanagisawasaxophones.com/mouthpieces/

As Rujarl says, it's 1.43mm, or 0.56". Very narrow, smaller than any on the sax.co.uk comparison chart. I'd say too small, even for a beginner. My recommendation would be the 6, even for a beginner. This is on the basis that it's easier to start off on a softer reed and up the hardness of the reed as the embouchure develops, rather than upping the mouthpiece a couple of times - much more expensive. I started on a Lawton tenor (about thirty years ago) and never for one moment did either I or my teacher think it was too wide.

Humm. A touch pricey to commit to an opening I'm not sure I'd like long term. I might try my luck on ebay. For less I could get something like a second hand V16 m or s (not sure how much more difficulty would be involved for me to play a medium chamber compared to my Yani small chamber, and with the tip opening difference as well) or a V5, say. If I get desperate I can get a brand new Yamaha 7C for under £27 with p&p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom