All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs stock vintage mouthpieces - a few observations...

zannad

I've only recently been interested in vintage saxes - I'm very keen on them but the stock mouthpieces which were part of the original packages I've tested are all very disappointing - I find them stuffy and always too close...a Martin mouthpiece sounded more like a clarinet than a sax; at least when I bought a modern chinese sax (probably a copy of a Selmer or Yani) it came with a "decent" mouthpiece (a far Meyer or Link plastic rendition perhaps?)...nothing special really but at least I get the sound of a sax.

I wonder what sounds were produced back in the 30' or 40' by using all these cheap rubber stock mouthpieces - so far I've got 5 of them and I find them pretty useless on both modern and vintage saxes - are we now being a bit too spoiled perhaps? or is it just that our musical taste have changed?

jonf

Agreed, I've got three 1920s saxes, and have owned a few more. The original mouthpieces were all, to my modern tastes, awful. Tiny tip openings, stuffy sound and no sparkle. Almost like a Selmer S80:)))

I think it's just that designs have improved, musical tastes developed, and desingers, over a century or so of constant refinement have discovered a lot more about what you can get from a mouthpiece.

As another isue, some sax bores insist - absolutely insist - that you can never play a modern mouthpiece in tune on a vintage sax. Complete cobblers, I've often played my Oleg Maestro screamer on a 1920s Bueshcer True Tone with no problems. For a long time I played a Berg Larsen Duck Bill 120/0 on a vintage COnn C Mel. OK, some old/new combinations might not work, but plenty of others will.

Chris J

Though I think the short shank, slant signature, Selmer Soloist was a stock mouthpiece for the alto, in its time. You would be lucky to buy one of those on Ebay for less than £150

In have a Buescher TT soprano mouthpiece, a Couesnon Monopole baritone mouthpiece that I use after refacing by Ed Pillinger, and they suit their instruments well.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

zannad

Though I think the short shank, slant signature, Selmer Soloist was a stock mouthpiece for the alto, in its time. You would be lucky to buy one of those on Ebay for less than £150

In have a Buescher TT soprano mouthpiece, a Couesnon Monopole baritone mouthpiece that I use after refacing by Ed Pillinger, and they suit their instruments well.

Chris

I guess there are ways of modifying some of these oldies (note the term "oldies" as opposed to "vintage" for their relative saxes here...), and make them more useful - opening the tip for example...not sure it is worth paying a technician for that - I mean, these came cheaply anyhow, I might well start experimenting a bit.

Top Bottom