support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Spotted - Martin Skyline Alto - £550 BIN

Those are great horns. Martin HC2, IIRC, I believe this one has been relacquered but the engraving is still visible. Good price if it’s still in good playing condition.

Gordon Beesson pads as well. I have these on my Buescher True Tone, which were on it when I bought it 38 years ago. They're still in fine condition.

Almost certainly not original lacquer. You see one that looks that good, it's almost always been redone. Martin lacquer from the period was notoriously fragile. Also, I can see buffing marks. The refinish was done very well. I have one just like this, well done relaq and all.

Keys are not plated, they're solid nickel alloy.

I think Martin solid silver keys had some kind of plating. On a my Magna tenor (1959) the solid nickel silver key touches are plated. But the plating did'n t last foor so long. The case is not a 1936 Handcraft case.

Nickel keys, which were originally lacquered. That was the material and finish on the keys.
Whenever I do a refurb of a Martin with the solid nickel keys, I strip the lacq off if there is any left.
It was a foolish finish in the first place, as nickel doesn't tarnish. Holton did this for a while as well (over nickel plated keys). And some German makes in the 50's-60's occasionally had it, too.
Baffling, really...

I agree, based on engraving photo, a relacquer.

Nevertheless not a bad price for one in play-shape.

In the past an overhaul at a saxophone workshop included lacquer job. Lots of fire in instrument workshop back then. In rather small workshops the had open flames and doing lacquer job at the same times. The small workshops had to get new and better rooms/places. Lots of workshops gave up lacquer jobs. The couldn't afford the insurance. A re-laquer is not a problem if it's properly done.

Back
Top Bottom