support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Recording help needed...

SaxinNZ

I have decided that I would like to have a go and record some sounds. Can any of you tech-heads out there please tell me what else I will need to be able to record, apart from the microphone.

I have a copy of Cubase LE on my PC (not MAC) if that helps? The mic I have been looking at is the Audio-Technica PRO-35 Pro Series Microphone. I guess I will need a lead of sorts, but what else? I read somewhere about “phantom power” required… do I have to get a Ouija Board or something?.... what about wireless, is this possibly the way to go, as I would like to try recording in different rooms without having to drag the PC around with me!

Thanks in advance.:welldone

If you just want to do a straight recording of yourself playing, or yourself and a few friends jamming, your best bet is probably a Zoom H2 or similar device. Very easy to use, and surprising sound quality.

I have decided that I would like to have a go and record some sounds. Can any of you tech-heads out there please tell me what else I will need to be able to record, apart from the microphone.

I have a copy of Cubase LE on my PC (not MAC) if that helps? The mic I have been looking at is the Audio-Technica PRO-35 Pro Series Microphone. I guess I will need a lead of sorts, but what else? I read somewhere about “phantom power” required… do I have to get a Ouija Board or something?.... what about wireless, is this possibly the way to go, as I would like to try recording in different rooms without having to drag the PC around with me!

Thanks in advance.:welldone

Looking at the specs for the Audio-Technica PRO-35 you will need to provide it with phantom power for it to work. The phantom power is usually provided by either an audio mixer or audio interface. An audio interface box will also digitize your sound and usually provides some monitoring facility as well. The mic comes with a 1.9 m cable which may or may not be long enough for you.

About this mic specifically, it's designed to be clip onto the saxophone which might be just what you want or, it might not, are you only ever going to be recording the saxophone?

Best wishes,

Chris

If you just want to do a straight recording of yourself playing, or yourself and a few friends jamming, your best bet is probably a Zoom H2 or similar device. Very easy to use, and surprising sound quality.

Yes, I'd agree. I have a Zoom H2 - a really wonderful and easy to use piece of kit.

My personal opinion is to avoid clip on mics like the plague as you'll record every key movement as well. It'll sound very "clunky." I'd use a stand alone mic. If your looking for reliable quality, then you can't go far wrong with a Sure SM 57 or SM 58. One is slightly better (apparently) but I'm not sure which. You will then need a mixer. This is the interface between the mic and the pc, if you can get a usb one then it'll be digital and better than a non usb which will be analogue, though you will still get reasonable results from an analogue mixer. As for cables, XLR is an industry standard type of mic lead. It's a three pin lead and better than a jack plug. That'll link your mic to the mixer. Leads from your mixer to your pc will either be usb or probably bnc to mini jack (this depends on digital (usb)or analogue mixer bnc to mini jack)
You then record to cubase or whatever software you prefer and Bob's your uncle. (Brother in my case)
Have fun and don't forget we love to hear the results.....good ..........or bad!!!

Is it too early to write to Santa you think??

Jx

Crikey Lady ...

If your gonna wait that long ... :old:

Get the H3 [Link]

Its a bit dearer but isn't discontinued like the H2 and its has a far better spec ...

I took the plunge and I do recommend it for both ease of use and quality of sound and video ... :thumb:

Edit: If you do see Santa by some chance of fate - Tell him "I believe" View attachment 940

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey Lady ...

If your gonna wait that long ... :old:

Get the H3 [Link]

Its a bit dearer but isn't discontinued like the H2 and its has a far better spec ...

I took the plunge and I do recommend it for both ease of use and quality of sound and video ... :thumb:

Edit: If you do see Santa by some chance of fate - Tell him "I believe" View attachment 940

H3 is a video recorder.

I didn't realise the H2 had been discontinued, but the H2n looks like it's replacement and offers a lot more...

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n