support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Newbie to the Cafe and to the Saxophone

TriumphV8

I'm Nicola. 22 year old diploma level clarinettist who has just started playing the sax. Have been playing for a few weeks and now want some repertoire advice. :)

I started with a Jupiter sax which didn't suit me ad have just bought a old Yamaha 23 which is wonderful, I'm so happy with it and am really enjoying playing the sax now.

My other interest is classic cars and I have 4 old cars, no new ones!! :)

Hey Hey Nicola ...

Welcome to the Cafe ...

Good to hear your delight with your Yamaha 23 ... :thumb:

So you are you are now a V8 Triumph with a Yamaha and 4 classic cars ...

Does that really makes you a collector of all things "motorised" ... ;}

Tell us more, much more ...

Thank you all for the welcomes :)

The car is the only true Triumph V8 - the Stag, it is my everyday car. The TR8 had the Rover V8, of course, though I have owned a TR7 previously. Other car has a Rover V8, it's an MGB GT V8 (factory car), also own a Series III Land Rover (for the winter) and a Jaguar 420. As you can tell I love my cars!

I'm new to saxophone and already on my second sax ... this one should hang about a little longer than the last though, I love it. :)

Would love some repertoire suggestions, I've finished the tutor books and am playing lots of scales, arpeggios and chromatic scales to develop my embourchure and get a nice sound, especially important for the bottom notes. At the moment I am just playing clarinet and flute repertoire - can play clarinet grade 6 stuff reliably on sax. No idea of real sax level - can't imagine it's anywhere near that! :)

Has yours still got the original 3 litre V8 that were reputed to be unbelievably awfull, or has it been converted to the much better rover 3.5 V8, originaly designed by Buick? i know many stag's were converted "back in the day".
Welcome to the nut house by the way....

It does indeed have the original Triumph 3.0litre V8. :) It sounds gorgeous but is slow! A lot of the problems came from bad maintenance.

Hi Nicola and welcome!

re repertoire (seeing as everyone is more interested in your cars hehe ;} -have you looked at the Abersold/Hal Leonard playalongs? they're mainly jazz, blues etc but Hal Leonard do some other styles, I play flute too and the books are for Concert, Eb, Bb and Bass so you can use them for different instruments. Another good one is Bob Mintzer's Funk Etudes and also the Guest Spot series (they do all styles) but you have to buy for the key you want (I'm working on Rhythm Check for TG grade 8, having a job to keep up with the CD at the moment! eeek!) Have a browse on Musicroom.com or jazzwise - you can get some ideas. :thumb:

Welcome to the cafe Nicola :)

your insurance must be sky high for those beauties you have at a young age
I think if they are over 25 yrs old (the car that is and not the driver) they qualify for classic insurance which brings the premium right down, also although you still need to tax them i'm pretty sure you don't need to pay anything...

Back
Top Bottom