support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones My Big new Baby

maxortensi

Yesterday I drove 350 KM to Quarna, found this big silver baby and couldn't leave it there.
A great voice, quite powerful.
I also had the opportunity to playtest a lot of nice tenors, including the two voice, the copper and the bronze one.
The Two voices were head to head with my Mark VI, with the copper and the bronze just a head behind
Some more pic to come.....

photomar23213956.jpg

To keep the Italian theme going heres my new baby i got a few days ago,She's LUSHHHHHHHH,Borgani pearl silver jubilee,she's called Mona Lisa .Yours looks sweet.

That borgani is quite nice !
I prefer the R&C but Borgani are great horns as well.
There's a lot of talking if they're true Italian (borgani factory is not available for visits, so a lot of people think they get manufactured in taiwan and only assembled in Italy ) but these are details indeed. They're fine horns!

That borgani is quite nice !
I prefer the R&C but Borgani are great horns as well.
There's a lot of talking if they're true Italian (borgani factory is not available for visits, so a lot of people think they get manufactured in taiwan and only assembled in Italy ) but these are details indeed. They're fine horns!

Yea right :)))

I have just noticed in your pictures that you are using a Hercules Bari stand, I have the same one for mine and I noticed when you put sax on to it the top arms don't grip the bell but instead the front lip of the bell hangs on the square metal section at the back of the arms so I gently bent the arms upwards so they contacted the bell first before it could touch the rear of the arms I can't tell if you have the newer model where the arms spring together as you put the sax in,but from the pictures it looks like I have described ie hanging from the lip of the bell
Very nice sax by the way ......John

I'll take a look this evening, not sure to understand what you mean.
I bought the stand 1 yr ago, never noticed any contact with something different from the foam.
The old bari (Jupiter) was with the lip of the bell on the foam, this new one has a larger bore, so I need to make a up-down movement to put the horn on the stand, and stays a little bit higher

Nice beast! I keep promising myself to try one at sax.co.uk, they have a low Bb in the London shop window. All R&Cs look great, unfortunately you need a mortgage to buy one so they are waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league!

Cannot quite tell from the photos, is it silver plated? If it is, be careful with the contact on the stand's rubber, teh rubber can tarnish (and eventually ruin) the silver plating!
Enjoy and let us know how you get on (by the way is it any heavier than your Jupiter?).

Cheers,
M.

it's 550 grams heavier than Jupiter (5540 vs 4990) and silver plated.
Do you think that the contact with stand's rubber can ruin the silver plate even if it's for very little time (let's say 2 hours per week) ?
I play both tenor and baritone (both silver plated) in a big band and have no other choice than stands.....
any suggestion on the matter ?

I keep promising myself to try one at sax.co.uk

Do it, but try a low A one >:).
It's reallly a roaring beast, to me even better than a Conn 12 M.
Only problem of trying is that sooner or later you'll find yourself dreaming of that sound and going around looking for the money.
At least that's what happened to me

Last edited by a moderator:
it's 550 grams heavier than Jupiter (5540 vs 4990) and silver plated.
Do you think that the contact with stand's rubber can ruin the silver plate even if it's for very little time (let's say 2 hours per week) ?
I play both tenor and baritone (both silver plated) in a big band and have no other choice than stands.....
any suggestion on the matter ?

All you have to do is cover the rubber padding with some thin cotton cloth, even a handkerchief, doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Cheers,
M.

Back
Top Bottom