support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Legere signature tenor (again!)

Fraser Jarvis

After playing Legere studio for several years now this morning I found a Legere signature I bought years ago that I remember I quite liked at the time but couldn’t stop it chirping, weather that was the reed or pilot error I have no idea. So anyway i strap this thing on my Lawton and im like WOW! more projection, cleaner, brighter and much much more responsive and controllable but i think I could do with a 1/4 step stronger so look on Reeds Direct and nearly fell off the chair! £30 for one reed!

So two questions: Anyone know were i can buy them cheaper? And is there an alternative brand (kane or synthetic) that behaves the same?

Cheers

You could try Amazon. They are about $29 USD which is somewhat less than what you're paying now. You also have to factor in that they will last much longer than a cane reed, which saves in the long run.

Dunno about cheap source for Legérè

Lots of other synthetics out there

I've found Forestone don't really suit me

Still looking for cheaper alternative too

For comparison in Canada I pay Ca$30 which is about US$22 and 17 sterling. (maybe there is a business opportunity here) I wonder if the price is linked to the cost of living. Curiously last time I bought they were cheaper from the retailer (Long and McQuade) than direct from Legere.

Here in France, the best price is 30€ before shipping... Not many suppliers have various sizes in stock.

I already tested tenor 3.0 (with classic mouthpiece) and 2.5 with various mouthpieces, but 2.5 is too hard for me on my PPT 7* I'll have to try 2 or 2.25.

But I have loads of cane...

In my experience, they don’t “last much longer than cane reeds”
I can use a box of 10 cane reeds, or one Legere signature on my Bari across 10-12 months.
Overall, that doesn’t equate to a significant price difference.
I found the legere reeds deteriorate with use and acquire thin hairline cracks, which eventually make the reed less than useable.

I tried a Signature tenor 2.5 about 18 months ago.I think it cost £27? In my case it split longitudinally about 2mm in - so edge of the rail? That was after about 3 months. I had got on OK with it until then.

Argh! Top late to have a test drive tonight. Thank God I've planned to work from home tomorrow...

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by the light packaging and shipping container (a mere envelop).

At that price I'd expect something a little be more protective. But they appear to be whole, so it's Saul Goodman! Alles Klaar! C'est tout bon! Todo va bien! Tudo ben! Alles ist gut!

Well you get the idea... :w00t:

I'm the mean time I had a go at my new tenor reeds and they fit me perfectly. That'll be an encouragement to practice. And I'll need it as it's now more difficult to find time for it now that I'm back at work!

Back
Top Bottom