support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

JB Weld : which one to use for mouthpiece repair?

MMM

Wonder if someone who has used JB Weld to repair mouthpieces can clear this up for me:

when I looked online to buy some, I found about 6 different types of JB Weld: which one do I need for fixing chipped mouthpieces (I need the type that can build up missing bits, not to join pieces back together).
Also, does it work equally well with plastic and hard rubber/ ebonite?

Thanking you all in advance,
M.

You want the J-B Weld 8265-S Cold Weld - comes on a red card, if that's any help. The product number is printed on the bottom right on the rear of the card.

It'll work on anything - but I should say that it's not listed as safe for 'potable' use...which means that the manufacturers wouldn't recommend it as suitable for fixing something you put in your mouth.
That said, I fixed my clarinet piece with it years ago and I ain't dead ye....

It works best if you mix up the stuff and then warm it gently under a lamp for a few minutes...makes it runnier and sticker, and speeds up the setting.

Regards,

Yeah, i've been looking at various products to use to make a new bite plate for my Guardala that fell out before i got it, all the epoxy products i looked at down at b&q stated that they were toxic, some people would argue that they only stay toxic whilst not fully cured, but i dont want to take the risk, Morgan Fry told me to use dental acrylic, but the only stuff i could find was in a large tub, far to much than i would ever use in this life time!

Now that you mention the word "potable" Stephen, this got me thinking, we use a product for lining water tanks that carries D.W.I. approval (drinking water inspectorate) instead of epoxy it's has a polyurethane base, so should be safe to use, the only problem is it's a very thick paint so to use as a bite plate repair may slump a bit, any other sugestions?

If you're bothered about Cold Weld being classified as safe for food use, the same company also produce WaterWeld 8277. It is certified as safe for drinking vessels. I've used it to replace three or four biteplates very successfully.

Thanks guys, now I know what to get!
I guess the manufacturers have to privide that info, however they also do not specify the quantities to make it toxic. I wouldn't like to use it for my fillings! I read that leaving it in water (after it is cured) for several hours also helps to minimise its toxic effect.

many thanks, I'll get ordering!

@MMM - or anyone else...

I've recently "inherited" two alto MPs with bite grooves...

20240207_165152.jpg

When the Yamaha arrived I just chucked it in my sax repair tool box so that when fitting a new neck cork I have it handy for checking when sanding to size. The B&S 190 came this week and I had a fleeting thought about repairing them both by filling the groove (then fitting a standard mouthpiece bite patch over) so as to have them to hand when play testing a rebuilt horn. I have plenty of good alto pieces so these are superfluous and can be experimented on.

So... after 13yrs is Waterweld 8277 still my best choice for filling?

Thanks for any input.

In the 13 years since last commenting on this thread, I've continued to use JB Waterweld, with consistently good results, in a range of applications including but not limited to music stuff. If I repaired the bite plate on a mouthpiece I'd put a patch on top - I always use a patch.

Back
Top Bottom