support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

IOTM April 2017: The Wordl Is Endling

Happy Easter to everyone. Family keeps us busy at this time of year, so no time to really practice. I did get a chance to build on carburetor's bass line. I took it, extended it to 32 bar AABA form plus coda, reharmonised it and recorded a backing track. I will get to a sop version as soon as I can get some time to play undisturbed by making music with the grandchildren :)

Meanwhile, here is a version I did in my first take with clarinet (it keeps the noise down in the house!). Going for a languid feel so mainly chalumeau register on this take.

View: https://soundcloud.com/billbluesnjazz/the-word

@billbluesnjazz, that was quite nice. The chords in the first four bars sound similar to me, but my ears aren't good enough to know what's going on in the rest of it. Does the B section still move up by a minor third? Or, any chance you could post the chart for it? That would be interesting.

Well, now this is quite proper - we've got collaborative composition going on in the Improv of the Month forum! :thumb:

Thanks @carburetor . Been having some pc problems so cannot print pdf from BiaB at the moment.

This should be a chart of the screenshot of BiaB. I would say that the A section is in three keys, Gb, Bb and (mainly) Db. The B section key centre goes up a minor third, this time from Db to E, then back down to Db. Coda is similar to what you had. I preserved the bass line practically unchanged (that was my challenge when reharmonising).

upload_2017-4-17_12-16-7.png

Last edited:
This should be a chart of the screenshot of BiaB.

That's pretty cool. I see you kept the overall movement of it the same. You added two bars to the B section to make it 8 instead of my 6. And you added 7ths and other extensions and subsitutions which make it more jazzy. When I initially was coming up with the chords, I stuck with mostly triads because none of the 7ths I tried fit the barebones arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom