support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How will I feel about my sax after 1st general set up in over 15 years I wonder?

Saxlicker

I have a tenor that had not long been overhauled when I got it.
It's been used almost daily since then for an average of hour or so (sometimes 3 hours sometimes 10 minutes) daily I'd guess.
Along the way I have been able to do bits like a cork replacement if one drops off, neck corks and cleaning and oiling.
Perhaps I've done a bit more than that and maybe could of / should of done even more but never hit 'plenty of time' and 'feeling confident' at the same time go further.
But its had some minor attention along the way.
It's always felt 'the same' to me over the whole period of professional neglect and that neglect was never supposed to happen I just fell short of getting it done.

But finally I have left it in the shop and during the assessment it was quite alarming how many leaks there were, how the regulation materials have deteriorated and a couple of other insights as to what could be improved.
I was glad it didn't add up to a full re-pad but it will get some new pads, corks, felts etc as well as re-seating some pads to get rid of leaks.
That all sounds like it should make a big difference but I wonder, will the result match the amount of work done.
I know the work is required, thats not in dispute but it just always felt fine before. I guess I learned how to blow it and subconsciously made up for some of its issues.
Hmmm.....night and day?
How did I ever leave it so long?
That was worth it all round?
Its a bit better and needed the attention?
It needed the attention but there's not an awful lot of difference?
Yikes I can see its all mechanically better but somethings lost?

My gut feeling and hopes having seen what I was up against is
How did I ever leave it so long. :w00t:

After an overhaul the horn doesn't fell the same. I think because you have adjusted to its slipping out of adjustment, and it just doesn't feel as it did, it should feel tighter. All the sloppy bits are gone and all the things you did to compensate either don't work or don't matter. You need to re-adjust yourself to this new reality. After a very short time everything is equalised and, hopefully, you are delighted that it is the same horn but feels much more solid and gives back more. I suppose this is just the break in period, it can take half an hour or several days. If it doesn't, as Stephen said, find another repairer.

You need to re-adjust yourself to this new reality. After a very short time everything is equalised and, hopefully, you are delighted that it is the same horn but feels much more solid and gives back more. I suppose this is just the break in period...
It sometimes happens that a client (typically a really good player) tries out their freshly-fettled horn in the workshop and stumbles over some of the notes (often at the lower end). I always explain that they're playing the horn as though it still had all the leaks, so their embouchure is still compensating - albeit unnecessarily.
My standard advice at this point is to take the horn home, play it for a week or so and then give me a call to let me know how it's going. The result is always the same; they call and say it's playing wonderfully...and that they must have 'blown the horn in'. In fact it's the other way round.
Unfortunately this 'blowing in' period is often used by some repairers to disguise poor workmanship - and quite a few of the folks here will know exactly what I mean by that ;)

I used to have my YTS 25 for an annual service. Never had a sax for a complete mechanic overhaul. Better to buy a new one, because I would probably be disappointed. I have never done any service on my 1938 Martin HC. I bought it in 1995 and been playing it a lot. When the day comes for an overhaul I think the Martin is going to rest in the case.

Why are light finger pressure so important?
Why are "sax techs" so fond of filing tone holes?

Why are light finger pressure so important?
Why are "sax techs" so fond of filing tone holes?
A light finger pressure brings 'transparency' by way of an immediate response. Not really seeing anything not to like about that.

I doubt anyone's fond of filing toneholes - and it's really only done (as part of a wider technique) because the manufacturers couldn't be bothered to do it properly in the first place...though Selmer and Yanagisawa seem to feel that it matters.

Last edited:
If you have to squeeze to seal there's a time delay. Also with one part hitting first and being under more pressure, uneven wear and premature failure will occur.

Some pieces demand players play really fast with accurate articulation.

That all sounds like it should make a big difference but I wonder, will the result match the amount of work done.
My experience is that every tiny leak in a sax has an effect on sound and tone threshold, but that effect is also dependent on mostly the volume, brightness and air control. So soft staccato on low Bb will be easier and the sax will be less stuffy. At high volume the effect will be less pronounced.

A light finger pressure brings 'transparency' by way of an immediate response. Not really seeing anything not to like about that.

I doubt anyone's fond of filing toneholes - and it's really only done (as part of a wider technique) because the manufacturers couldn't be bothered to do it properly in the first place...though Selmer and Yanagisawa seem to feel that it matters.
Thanks.

To press a key down lightly helps me to make sure that the pad is even/sealing all around the tone hole. If not the key (cup) can be bent or tone-hole uneven. File or level tone holes, bend keys or install a thicker or thinner pad? After that the pad is burning in under pressure.

We don't have techs like Stephen Howard here around. I wish we had! As a saxophone owner I like to know what the tech is doing and why.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom