Photo contest

Green spots lurking under risers

cjR

I have a thumb rest cushion that's on its way out that I was planning to replace with some moulded sugru. In poking around at it yesterday I noticed it's been hiding a lot of unsightly green spots. I have similar hiding underneath a palm key riser.

I assume this is from trapped moisture - what's the best way to clean it up (horn is lacquered if that makes a difference) ?

Long term how bad can this get for the horn ? Should I sugru the palm key aswell in an effort to stop it happening again there ?

Last edited:
When was the last time you had a full COA service? Over two years of active use it’s due.
Also get a better lock on your door. That green goo is from Nessie sneaking in and playing while you’re out.

Lots of high tech automotive detailing products to choose from. I use Mothers or Maguires ceramic detailer. Canned or compressed filtered air. Soft natural bristle detailing brush. Like a 3/8, 10 mm diameter. Gentle air to blow lint and debris out of the nooks and crannies. Light brushing too. Whatever cleaners or wax you use. Shake container well. Spray onto a soft microfiber towel. Then apply. Don’t spray it directly onto the sax. If you must spray directly make sure the mist is ultrafine.
Remember a lot of these products contain distilled water

When things have gone green, that's corrosion, oxidation, verdigris. It'll take more than furniture polish to shift it. I use toothpaste or if it's stubborn, autosol. It can be worked in small tight areas with a cotton bud, q tip. Once the green has gone the acrylic nail polish top coat will seal and protect it from further rot.

Start with cigarette lighter fluid.

You CAN use Brasso....and indeed you might need to, because you really ought to get rid of all the verdigris. If that means polishing off some of the lacquer, so be it. It's going to come off in due course anyway. Just try to confine your Brassoing to the affected area.

will this be obvious ? once the areas no longer looks green am I done or can it be hidden and flare back up ?
Yep, it'll be obvious (the green tint is a dead giveaway). Once it's gone it's gone...providing you don't then subject the area to the same environmental conditions that caused it to appear in the first place. Rubber 'socks' are notorious for this - but the problem can be alleviated by taking the things off from time-to-time and giving the area a wipe down with lighter fluid.

I wouldn't expect it because the Sugru bonds (lightly) to the metal - which keeps the moisture out....which is the cause of the verdigris. But I guess it's possible depending on how well the Sugru is fitted.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom