Photo contest

Mouthpieces Eric Marienthal Mouthpiece

Me neither. And if you can sound like that, you sound like that on most pieces, it's probably more a question of comfort.

Yes it’s a combination of those things. He gets his name on it. His preference of sound, response in a mouthpiece might have changed as no doubt has his embouchure slightly as he is now 60-odd. Not old, but he isn’t 40.

The way he puts air (wants to put air) into a horn might have changed too. The Beechler ‘pieces aren’t the easiest blow either, perhaps he has come to the conclusion that life can be easier.

He’s also spent a lot of time in very electric bands and the Beechler muscles through. This RR piece seems to have more width, perhaps he wants that now.

Eddie Daniels went to a much smaller tip when recording the Five Seasons album - speaks about it on YouTube - things change. I made that change on clarinet after seeing that video and it was a revelation for me.

Last edited:
No harm in trying but I know I sound like me after a fairly short while on a new mouthpiece

I think I notice the biggest difference between mouthpieces on SAB which I play much less than T

A Beechler 7 (some on an 8) on an alto mk 6 had quite a following in the 90's. Marienthal, Michael Paulo, Nelson Rangell, Brandon Fields, Everette Harp, Dave Koz, Najee, Marc Russo. Very similar core sounds. Way back then it was a stepping stone that helped me move forward toward the sound that I wanted to make. This can be the case sometimes, though for some it can be the case none of the time.

There are so many mouthpieces out there these days that many must be virtually the same. Tip opening, table length, rail and tip width, bore shape and dimensions, shank length, material and accuracy of manufacture. How many mouthpiece manufacturers or mouthpiece models do we think are out there?

- I'd love to know. (When I walk through the duty free shop in an airport I always find myself wondering how many perfumes are actually on sale - does anybody know?).

There are a zillion mouthpieces and regardless of price it is still amazing how underwhelming many of them perform due to poor tolerances as well as weak design. There are, of course, a number of good makers but in general there is more hype in the market place than quality.

Ots just sad to see hard working players shell out for work that is substandard. Ive worked on a lot of 4 to 500 dollar pieces and just shook my head. Some were the latest ad greatest designs never before seen by man. Some of those had never been seen because the designs would have been tossed away by someone with hearing.

Its hard to make a lot of money and be honest...its like trying to be an honest and successful politician:)

I know this has been discussed endlessly here and everywhere, the mpc alone isn't going to be a revolution, usually. I'd much rather be able to adapt to various models (said the guy who has four main mouthpieces). I've been playing three of them most days now. Not at once, before anyone makes that crack.

I know this has been discussed endlessly here and everywhere, the mpc alone isn't going to be a revolution, usually. I'd much rather be able to adapt to various models (said the guy who has four main mouthpieces). I've been playing three of them most days now. Not at once, before anyone makes that crack.
I couldn't help myself. ;)
rahsaan_roland_kirk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom