Photo contest

Saxophones Engraving on saxophones - what do you think?

Hi there,

Just received an e-mail telling me I am tagged on a post in this forum.

Yes, I am still around. However, the last couple of years have been rather...special for me, with serious health issues affecting very close members of my family.
As a consequence, a rather big backlog had accumulated. I am also beginning to see the end of it now, getting on top of the situation and back in business. So yes, I am still around.

Hope you are doing excellently.

I'm very sorry to hear about the health issues with your family.

Katia, I mentioned you as maybe you might be interested in the thread. Maybe post some of your engraving work.

Then there are the artistic engravings done by Jace Dumars. This is my SBA alto that he engraved for me.

That is very nice @jbtsax but so classic!

I suppose it's not an easy skill to acquire, but I'm sure it's worth it. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the talents to even consider it for myself. I lack the artistic touch. If I can't get my brother to look into it, I might try my kids. I have two that are gifted, but I'm afraid only one that may have the appropriate technical abilities to apply to saxes. Bit he's still young (12) so I'll have to wait...

hope it is not stuck in a cupboard unloved!

No, that is me.

Then there are the artistic engravings done by Jace Dumars.

Jason, @jdumars, is also a member here, perhaps we might hear from him.

I still have some draft artwork of a mermaid I wanted on a horn from him, I'd like to post the draft, but maybe should wait for his permission. One day I hope to get the mermaid done, but it's a question of sorting out the transport and back.

I love the 1920s and 1930s engraving on Conns alot. And also some Art Deco engraving on later horns. The wallflower engraving on Selmers is very nice too. I think a sax is a work of art as well as a musical instrument! To me, a sax with no engraving would be like having a Picasso with no signature (or something like that )

I'm here if anyone has any specific sax engraving questions. I have a gallery of my work here: Jason DuMars

In terms of design, I have done many different things: dragons, celtic knots, religious, humorous and so forth. For my own tastes, I prefer the classic style, although much more elaborate than anything you find on a normal sax, for example this one I did earlier this year:

12440212_10209238624661919_8004906821978184844_o.jpg

I love the 1920s and 1930s engraving on Conns alot. And also some Art Deco engraving on later horns. The wallflower engraving on Selmers is very nice too. I think a sax is a work of art as well as a musical instrument! To me, a sax with no engraving would be like having a Picasso with no signature (or something like that )
Or a piece of paper signed Picasso but with no drawing, he did that a lot.

I'm here if anyone has any specific sax engraving questions. I have a gallery of my work here: Jason DuMars

In terms of design, I have done many different things: dragons, celtic knots, religious, humorous and so forth. For my own tastes, I prefer the classic style, although much more elaborate than anything you find on a normal sax, for example this one I did earlier this year:

Do you mind if I show the mermaid design you proposed (I think it was going to be for a Tubax if I ended up buying it but didn't)

I may still ask you to do that design if I get the appropriate horn.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom