Photo contest

Edinburgh Napier summer jazz course

Shorty

Hi - does anyone on the forum have experience of the Edinburgh Napier summer jazz course? Interested to hear what level of player would benefit most. Runs in parallel with the EDI jazz fest in July. Apparently it's on again this year but not advertised yet.

It's on every year and is very popular and well attended. The course concludes with a concert that is part of the Jazz Festival. There may still be information on last years event on the Jazz Festival web site that would give you an idea of what's involved. I think they cater for a wide range of ability.

A friend who lives locally, signed-up two years in a row and loved every minute. I'll talk to him and get back to you.

Jim.

How can you have a summer jazz course in Edinburgh? :)

The coldest day I've ever experienced was a summer's day in Edinburgh...:rofl:

Greg S.
Temperature don't enter into it

On a bright but cold summers day here you'll still see scores of fair-skinned people lying in open spaces from Cramond to The Meadows determined to get surnburnt, indifferent to the cold

Usually by the end of the day you'll then see content pink punters wandering off for their creams: Luca's icecream and Boot's Aloe Vera Sunburn Lotion

Some years ago the Edinburgh Concert Band hosted a visit by a band from the USA. I think they hailed from Colorado. We had arranged an open air gig for them to be held in Princes Street Gardens, a great venue with Edinburgh Castle in the background. It was so cold that the visiting woodwind players refused to bring their instruments out of their hotel rooms. I think there was a 40 degree difference in the temperature from when they left home a few hours before. A local music store loaned us some plastic clarinets from their rental department and that helped a bit. That's high summer in Edinburgh. :)

Jim.

Thanks all - fortunately this course is indoors and 'summer' refers to the time of year rather than dress-code! If I get on it I'll provide some feedback.

Hi - does anyone on the forum have experience of the Edinburgh Napier summer jazz course? Interested to hear what level of player would benefit most. Runs in parallel with the EDI jazz fest in July. Apparently it's on again this year but not advertised yet.

Hi Shorty

I taught on this course a couple of times and from what I remember there was a fairly broad spread of levels. The format might have changed but at that time there was specific instrumental classes and then you were put in a combo with others who were of a similar level. The person who was in charge (and I think still is) is Haftor Medboe - he teaches at Edinburgh Napier University - don't have an email address I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll find one if you google his name.

Best
Sue

Hi Shorty

I taught on this course a couple of times and from what I remember there was a fairly broad spread of levels. The format might have changed but at that time there was specific instrumental classes and then you were put in a combo with others who were of a similar level. The person who was in charge (and I think still is) is Haftor Medboe - he teaches at Edinburgh Napier University - don't have an email address I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll find one if you google his name.

Best
Sue
Thanks - have been in contact and getting booked !

Reporting back on the course:
Weather - was glorious, traveled on foot every day to the University.
The set up made the week a lot of fun -- with a different music style each day - Township; Delta blues; Brazilian and Nordic - finishing off with a Friday afternoon performance as part of the Jazz Festival.
The teaching was great; university and guest musicians - and I think performers at all stages got a lot out of it.
To get the most out of the course I would advise as a minimum: know all of the notes on your instrument; know how a maj/min/modal and blues scale is constructed; be able to sight read a bit; and if you have a transposed instrument understand how to adapt the discussions going on in concert pitch!