support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Dress Codes for Performing ?

Sports jackets/blazers and slacks? If somebody wanted me to turn up to a gig dressed as Alan Partridge it would have to be seriously good money.

Screenshot_20240327-193601.jpg

Inspired by a photo of @Tenor Viol very smartly dressed while performing on cello, I thought I would start a discussion about what performers should and shouldn't wear when playing in public.

I'm particularly interested in amateur and semi-professional groups, but for all musical genres and any types of performance.

What works, what doesn't work, any good stories (with pictures and video if you like) ?

Rhys
It's all pretty much dictated by the band image, venue or event. Otherwise, I pretty much wear suits most of the time because I'm an aged Silver Fox who doesn't look right in post punk and goth regalia or look like the youger people I'm usually gigging with. I'm fed up with the 'wear black' syndrome after 45+ years. An old man in suit blends with most dress codes. Here's me doing a video at the Prisoner Village, Portmeirion about 1990 with some demi-goths - Checkmate!. And one with the Cureheads around 2014. The horns should always look sharp! :cool:

1711582092176.jpg

My main band, The Notebenders, have a formal dress code of dark suit, white or black shirt, and the band tie (a sort of orangey colour), or a black bowtie for special occasions.
I wear a black waistcoat with a white shirt, or a white waistcoat and a black shirt.
Other bands I play in, I wear dark trousers, a floral waistcoat, and sometimes a white panama hat (as in picture).

Shoes gotta mirror shine Royal Navy (rig) fashion. Says a lot about a person!

View attachment 25787
If I remember correctly (it's a long time since I read it) somewhere in his autobiography Am I Too Loud? famed accompanist Gerald Moore tells a story of when he first played in the USA, and it seemed audiences were more taken with the high gloss of his patent leather shoes than his actual performance.