support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Clarinet upgrade

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I am thinking about upgrading my Bb clarinet, but I don't really know much about them.
I have a Yamaha 250, which I picked up on EBay cheap and it turned out to be in perfect condition.
My teacher mentioned Buffet and LeBlanc as also being names, along with Yamaha for an intermediate clarinet.
I know the Yamaha 450 (or there abouts) is intermediate, but which buffet would be? Is it the E11/E12?

I hope to get something in the £600 ball park, and could P/ex my Ycl250.

Any suggestions
Thanks

Not sure if £600 gives you something substantially better than the YCL-250. I use a YCL-250 for outdoors playing, and to take with me on business trips, and in my opinion it's a very decent instrument. If staying within the Yamaha line, I would at least look at a (used) YCL-650 for an upgrade.

Kicking up this old thread; I recently have to double between tenor and clarinet, and I actually like my YCL-250 better than my Buffet R13 (1972) for that. The Yamaha is pitched slightly higher (which should not matter with enough doubling practice, but now is helpful when switching from tenor), I have the impression it warms up quicker, and it's a bit brighter (which is good in this case).

The keywork of the R13 is better, and the wood feels nicer. And yes, the R13 has a richer sound, but I doubt the audience would really hear the difference.

About the warming up; it should not differ, since it's the air column and not the surrounding wall, but my feeling is that the plastic clarinet still warms up quicker.

Last edited: