support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM February 2018 - Rock Ballad

Tiberius

Bit late I know, but if nobody else is in the mood this month...we can't have a blank month :)

I know I don't have much time recently, but I've started playing with some rock ballads, so for my first contribution, here's Wind of Change by the Scorpions.

First effort, so rough as usual. The backing track cost £1.99, Chord sheets easy to find on the web and the tune is quite easy to work out, even for me. It's in C concert, D on a Tenor and never really goes out that. But I'll probably put up a different rock ballad next weekend.

Wind of Change

Until I come up with something new, I'll have to go with an older recording:
I like this idea. I'll have to have a good think. :thumb:

It will do for now :) ...but you know that you have to put something new up :)

Stepping outside the standard jazz book seldom seems to generate much interest in these threads, but if nobody else want's to take it on this month then we can have a play :)

Glad to see the ballad of the month didn't die
Not dead yet, but often not lots of participants when we move out the 'standards', but two already, that's not bad. Be good to get a few more in this short month.

Thanks...that was nice, very smooth, I hope I can get that before I'm too old to lift the sax :)

Three contributors in 24 hours is pretty good !

Thanks for keeping the thread going - any suggestions for possible rock ballads might encourage some other people who aren't familiar with these styles. Me for one.

Rhys

Laughable stretching of the 'rock' genre, especially in the top 20
:) true, but in the words of cpt. Barbosa (I think)...treat it more as a guide :)

The Scorpions did a few ballads that I think would work. My teacher suggested Foreigner. Some of the 'classic' power ballads, like from say Rainbow I doubt would work on sax, but no doubt someone could prove me wrong.

Could Stairway to Heaven be done? I'm on my phone now, but I'll take a look tonight and see what suggestions I can find.

There are a lot of...stretching the definition of rock...that would work, e.g. Dido ballads, but maybe pop ballads would be another theme :)

Laughable stretching of the 'rock' genre, especially in the top 20
...but...Mandy by Barry Manilo? On what planet is that a rock ballad :)

I noticed a couple by Eric Clapton that I fancy having a go at. I did Wonderful Tonight last week, might post that too as it's only stretching the definition slightly.

Van Morrisson - many good ballads for sax.

I like ballads in the style of Delbert McClinton, Dann Penn, Taj Mahal ..... Blues, Rock ('n' Roll), Soul, Gospel, Country is melting together.. Here is a sample with Delbert McClinton and Marcia Ball. ( a very good version of Delbert McClinton Band: Don Wise; tenorsax, Terry Townson; trumpet, Goerge Jr Hawkins; bass, Kevin McKendree: piano. Todd Sharp; guitar och Lynn Wiliams; drums).

View: https://youtu.be/3pg56phvHYE

I have the sheet music for this in a book called "50 Top Hits *Alto Sax * (Baritone Sax)" published by Warner Bros - the book must be over 30 years old - has tunes from the Steve Miller Band (Abracadabra) to Melissa Manchester (You Should Hear How She Talks About You) with stuff inbetween from Air Supply(?) to REO Speedwagon (!!)...

Greg S.

Its probably a bit too off-topic (in which case this new member apologises!) but I like rock and soul and playing stuff like Long Train running (Farm aid version); Hard to Handle (Black Crowes with Dave Ellis on tenor) and am about to try Under pressure (Bowie /Mercury). Having said that I still like to play old play- along stds like Watermelon Man and All Blues. Anybody like to play short sections like Never Tear us apart by INXS (sax solo is about 10 seconds)

Its probably a bit too off-topic (in which case this new member apologises!)
New members are always welcome, I was one myself not too long ago. Mostly in these threads we try to keep things to recording posts and comments on them, but this month is slightly different in that it's a theme, not a single song.

But, if you're playing this stuff, then get it recorded and get it on here :) short sections are fine, in fact for the first few months, my posts on here consisted of mostly just the first verse of a song.

Back
Top Bottom