support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Big Band Playalongs

Cazza158

Does anyone have any experience with big band play along books? I see Hal Leonard does some but are they a bit stayed and boring or fun to play, please?
I have a new pupil who is approx Grade 5 standard and I want him to get a wealth of experience of different styles of playing. Sadly there are no big bands here for him to get the real experience (although I would like to try to get one started)
Alternatively as it would be purely for practice purposes, does anyone have any 1st or 2nd tenor charts we could work on and then I'm figuring he could play along with stuff off you tube?
Suggestions please.
(sorry if this is in the wrong section or been covered before - feel free to move it to the right place)

I have a big phat band play along but never actually played any of them yet! they ARE fun but too advanced for my pupil. I can recommend them for the advanced player (I have listened to the cd and read the charts along) but not suitable for an intermediate player.

I do not know if you are familiar Smartmusic, there is some big band in it, you can choose to play 1st sax, 2nd sax, alto, tenor. I did a search for what Smartmusic terms medium advanced pieces and pulled up about 80.
If you are not familiar with Smartmusic search the cafe for the threads posted by @jbtsax and his tutorials. I think it is a great learning tool I just wish more of what my tutor has me doing was on it.

Does anyone have any experience with big band play along books? I see Hal Leonard does some but are they a bit stayed and boring or fun to play, please?

Hi,

I have all volumes and played them with one of my students.
Not bad, but I don't think there was a great benefit for him.

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:
I can't say enough about Smart Music. There are lots of great charts to play along to that are excellent recordings done by a professional big band. The parts are shown on the screen and you can vary the tempo on the more difficult ones as you are learning them. One of my favorite uses is to go to one level below where I can play and use those tunes to work on sight reading. An old adage says the fastest way to learn to play better is to play in a group where everyone plays better than you. Smart Music is a perfect way to do this.

Don't complain about having a gig!
I'm not :) It's that nutty time of year... band concert last night, cello ensemble in Birmingham this afternoon, chamber orchestra concert next Friday, The Film Orchestra concert next Saturday, all day rehearsal with Birmingham orchestra next Sunday, following weekend is a wind band concert, then the Birmingham concert on the Sunday...

Not sure when the grass will get cut...

Seriously, I know for many it can be hard to find groups to play with, and it is bad enough where I live - most of these groups are 25 or 50 miles away, so I have to travel a lot to get to both rehearsals and concerts/gigs. I live in a rural area, although not as deeply rural as say mid-Wales or the north of Scotland. Nevertheless, there is little near me. All of the above groups are in major cities, which are all around 50 miles away.

I know that for some living in some countries, where places are huge distances apart, or where the music is not part of the local cultuire, even that seems a cornucopia.

My comment was aimed at those who live in the big towns and cities and won't travel 10 miles to something as it's "too far"...

I found the Hal Leonard books with CD OK but you're limited to that collection, with that arrangement, at that tempo and the synth brass is a little unreal.

I find Band in a box much more flexible. You can write any song at any tempo, change the instruments, band members, style etc. Tailor it to your students exact needs, There's a glossary of pre arranged songs you can use as is or tweak them.

The cost of the playalong books soon mounts up and in each book, half the songs you won't use or won't be suitable.

Having said that the Motown playalong remains great fun to knock out occasionally.

My clarinet teacher once wrote on my report something like Caroline's ensemble memberships reads like the yellow pages! They made me give up some classes/ensembles at college, too as they said I was in too much!

Might
I found the Hal Leonard books with CD OK but you're limited to that collection, with that arrangement, at that tempo and the synth brass is a little unreal.

I find Band in a box much more flexible. You can write any song at any tempo, change the instruments, band members, style etc. Tailor it to your students exact needs, There's a glossary of pre arranged songs you can use as is or tweak them.

The cost of the playalong books soon mounts up and in each book, half the songs you won't use or won't be suitable.

Having said that the Motown playalong remains great fun to knock out occasionally.
I might Get the motown one for personal use then! I had thought about BIAB actually for use with standards.

I'm not :) It's that nutty time of year... band concert last night, cello ensemble in Birmingham this afternoon, chamber orchestra concert next Friday, The Film Orchestra concert next Saturday, all day rehearsal with Birmingham orchestra next Sunday, following weekend is a wind band concert, then the Birmingham concert on the Sunday...

Not sure when the grass will get cut...
Such a hard life. My heart bleeds for you.:verysad

:rofl:

Such a hard life. My heart bleeds for you.:verysad

:rofl:
I am overwhelmed by your sympathy...:rolleyes:

I am currently working out which groups to stop/continue. Sadly, MWO will probably have to cease at the end of the term as the weekly rehearsal travel logistics in rush hour are just too painful. That still lives the rehearsla orchestra, the Chester chamber orchestra, Birmingham orchestra, Shrewsbury wind band. Not sure if I will rsume choir next term. TBH three of those groups are not weekely being fortnightly or monthly.. But...

Back
Top Bottom