support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to make backing tracks in BIAB - Band in a Box

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
It looks like some of you have begun to dabble in the world of BiaB and backing tracks.:confused:

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here and I will try and answer them. If asking a question please let me know which version you are using..:thumb:

Chris,,

I have a question: how do you make your backing tracks? They sound so much better than anything I can do with BiaB. But I suspect the answer may be longer than you have time to type. Are you defining your own styles, writing your own bass parts (can you even do that?) or what?

Hi Martin, never use the styles given to you, create your own, mixing and matching the Realtracks. Always take the raw tracks out of BiaB and put them into a DAW. There you can mix, edit etc to create the sound you are looking for..

Hi Martin, well. Open Biab, put all the chords in the at you need for the tune you are working on. Select a ready made style that puts you near to where you want to be, Swing ballad latin etc. You may as well generate the tune and listen to what it sounds like..
Right, for the next step, click on the individual tracks you can start with the Bass track on the far left, get yourself to the main RT menu. From there if you have loads of RT's go to the bottom of the page and type Bass into the filter box then press apply. The only tracks now shown should be Bass tracks. Select one that is correct in tempo and feel, ( tempo is OK+-25bpm) If you have an up todate version the far right hand column could have an 's' showing that is for a simpler version, also top RH side of the menu you should have depending on which version 3 more check boxes one for tempo, bluesy and simple. You can check one if you want..
Do something similar for each track that will create your own style. Now you can save all these but I find it better just doing it on the fly and trying to be creative with them. Also most RT's have A and B section substyles which you need to be aware of. Hope this points you in the right general direction..

Chris..

Chris, what and where is the RT button I'm on BIAB 2013

Di, when you have entered all the chords in the main window. . Click on one of the tracks Bass drums piano etc. The menu that opens gives you an option to select RT's for the instrument if you check that option the large RT menu will then open and you can scroll through them or use the filter to select the one you want. The reason I said do this after pre selecting a style is because only the one track will generate. Best set up the song then alter to find what works best for you. Plus you get to here the RT's and in time you will know which ones you need..

Chris..

BiaB use both midi and real audio tracks, the styles that come with it use both. Each instrument is given one or the other by the style you select for the tune. The row of instruments changes colour when Realtracks are in a style. By clicking on them you can select other Realtracks as above...

This is a probably really daft question but is there a software DAW for PC which is economically priced and for which I can download a trial version and find useful tutorials etc on Youtube?

Even something with a reasonably effective piano roll type input to experiment would be of interest.

I presume that whatever software I end up buying will only work on one PC which is a problem as my Laptop is on its last legs but I dont want to buy a new one until I absolutely have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a probably really daft question but is there a software DAW for PC which is economically priced and for which I can download a trial version and find useful tutorials etc on Youtube?

Even something with a reasonably effective piano roll type input to experiment would be of interest.

I presume that whatever software I end up buying will only work on one PC which is a problem as my Laptop is on its last legs but I dont want to buy a new one until I absolutely have to.

If I was in the market for a DAW today I would have a look at 'Reaper' very good, cheap, good user forum. Easy to use. No piano roll though, I don't think.

Chris..

Try This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfdTziwpYU

The Bronze version is a free download :w00t:

Teebones another :old:

Thanks very much - a very useful link. As I mentioned above my laptop is on its last legs but I want to keep it as long as possible. What I fear about spending on these programmes is that should the laptop doe I will have to buy a licence again - does this apply BIAB?

No, you'll be safe.

My desktop machine died with BiaB on it: I jut reinstalled from original disks on to my replacement machine. I had backups of all song files so I was productive again pretty much straight away.

Heartfelt thanks for both suggestions. I have downloaded trials of both of them so that will keep me busy for a good while :)

Please let us know how you get on. I've been thinking of installing Reaper for a while but would be intrigued to learn if there's something better that as good value for money.

Also, I'd be interested in users input on BIAB in terms of the best place to source it and which version to get. Is getting the latest version important, and is there sufficient functionality and good enough quality of instruments in the entry level standard version? Bearing in mind I'm a first time user so not looking for the mega complicated advanced bells and whistles just yet.

Thomas, http://www.pgmusic.com/ is the best place to buy BiaB. The new 2013.5 version is due out soon. They always offer it at a large discounted price for a short time.

As for bells and whistles, the basic version does everything the largest packs do. It is just the Realtracks and Realstyles that would be missing. There are ways round that by buying just the extra tracks you need for your style of music. eg the basic version plus the jazz Realtracks. If you are making lots of backings then you will find out that you need more choice of RT's. The advice given is talk to customer support, you can do that live btw, see what they suggest. Or just buy the biggest version you can, all that does is buy more Realtracks/Styles.