The Entertainer - Band in a box

eb424

Locality
london
Hi I am sure there are posts on it but running late for work so a quick question..I usually use karaoke version for my backing tracks but they dont have the entertainer by scott joplin..so has anyone got a play a long version..but mainly would I be able to make my own version in BIAB and is the pro version enough..

I am not sure if I've asked before running late so it's a quick hit and run ;-)... apologies if I have...

I only play for fun so karaoke version is enough I don't want to get to caught up in something that will take my time away from playing.

Eddie

If you have Band in a Box you can create an accompaniment for The Entertainer that is already done for you at this website:
BIAB jazz tunes However it does not allow you to print out the melody. There are several on YouTube for alto sax that provide both the melody and the accompaniment.

I really fancied this one i have the notes
Can you change keys and manipulate in biab..
Are your written notes in the same key as this recording? A similar "shuffle" backing can be made in biab at any tempo or key you want.

Col
Are your written notes in the same key as this recording? A similar "shuffle" backing can be made in biab at any tempo or key you want.m
I think so i will have to check.. not sure what key the track is in..I can usually find it but this ones proving difficult..if I know i can replicate it I'll buy BIAB...I have the original track if I could take the sax out...is it all chorded or can notes be used..thanks eddie

Last edited:
Col
Are your written notes in the same key as this recording? A similar "shuffle" backing can be made in biab at any tempo or key you want.m
I think so i will have to check.. not sure what key the track is in..

Band in a Box pro has lots of styles, but I couldn't find a shuffle in the list of tracks provided. The video you posted is in the key of C concert which would put the alto in the key of A and the tenor in the key of D. This is a quick example of a track as close as I can come to the style in the video, but I have lots of add on sets to choose from.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://soundcloud.com/jbtsax/the-entertainerwav?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

not sure what key the track is in..
The best way to find the key for this type of tune is listen for the last note. (Note that quite a few jazz and blues tunes might end on other notes - often 9 7 or maj7.

If you have Band in a Box you can create an accompaniment for The Entertainer that is already done for you at this website:
BIAB jazz tunes However it does not allow you to print out the melody. There are several on YouTube for alto sax that provide both the melody and the accompaniment.
Hi @jbtsax...Do you need the chords to copy a tune or will BIAB do it from notation..Not really up on chords yet...

Band in a Box pro has lots of styles, but I couldn't find a shuffle in the list of tracks provided. The video you posted is in the key of C concert which would put the alto in the key of A and the tenor in the key of D. This is a quick example of a track as close as I can come to the style in the video, but I have lots of add on sets to choose from.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://soundcloud.com/jbtsax/the-entertainerwav?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Hi @jbtsax I have just found the score with the chords and notes..There are 2 #s F and C and starts with a Dmaj chord so it would be right for the tenor...Could I replicate the tune if I buy BIAB...I have been quoted 50 Euros to make it and have requested Karaoke Version considers it so it may be worth getting BIAB anyway. I think the files on there can only be played if you have BIAB anyway...

Hi @jbtsax I have just found the score with the chords and notes..There are 2 #s F and C and starts with a Dmaj chord so it would be right for the tenor...Could I replicate the tune if I buy BIAB...I have been quoted 50 Euros to make it and have requested Karaoke Version considers it so it may be worth getting BIAB anyway. I think the files on there can only be played if you have BIAB
Hi @jbtsax...Do you need the chords to copy a tune or will BIAB do it from notation..Not really up on chords yet...
It's a bit complicated to explain how biab works, but I'll try.
When you open a new file it will give you a screen where you can type in the chord changes you want or to import them from an MGU or SGU of the song that has already been done.
biab screen.JPG

This next screen shows the mgu file that has been imported from biab jazz for the song Satin Doll.
biab satin doll chords.JPG

Once that is done, you click the style button with the arrow pointing down to choose the style you want. For this song I have chosen: Band Styles: Best Real Styles: Jazz Swing: _JAZFRED.STY
biab styles.JPG

For this song, the melody has already been put in the mgu file. You get that by selecting Notation - Leadsheet. It can be then be printed as a pdf file.
biab satin doll.JPG

• You're a Star
Reactions: Sue
It can seem like a lot to learn at first, but their website has lots of videos made for beginners to the program. Go to "support" then"videos". If you purchase biab pro for $129 there are a limited number of "combos" (200) to choose from. Go to this link and scroll down to see which ones come with that version: biab pro combos. As you become more adept at using the program you may want to purchase some of the various "add-ons" like I have to offer more variety. As you will find out, that is where they make the most money after you have been "hooked" on using the program. ;)

I hope this post and the previous one provides some useful information. There are a handful of members at the Cafe who are adept at using biab who are available to answer any questions or give assistance. Good luck on your journey.

It can seem like a lot to learn at first, but their website has lots of videos made for beginners to the program. Go to "support" then"videos". If you purchase biab pro for $129 there are a limited number of "combos" (200) to choose from. Go to this link and scroll down to see which ones come with that version: biab pro combos. As you become more adept at using the program you may want to purchase some of the various "add-ons" like I have to offer more variety. As you will find out, that is where they make the most money after you have been "hooked" on using the program. ;)

I hope this post and the previous one provides some useful information. There are a handful of members at the Cafe who are adept at using biab who are available to answer any questions or give assistance. Good luck on your journey.
still stuck on a few bits I can try succinctly...

1. If i have a score with the chords on for the entertainer can I make a copy...
2. Can I remove the saxophone from the copy as in karaoke version website?
3. Can the files be exported as mp3s and played on another device..
4. if purchased as a download is it sent as a link or a programme. Can the link be transferred to a new laptop when mine dies or is it encrypted so BIAB is not transferable..

sorry to go on but it's a large investment for one song..If I can do what Karaoke version does with it it's a bargain...

LOL. ..it needs to sound the same.. ( ish) need a tune quire prepared to pay for it. .or know I can do it in BIAB.

1. You can type the chords from the Entertainer into a new file in biab or you can import them from the link I provided earlier.
2. Unless the saxophone part is recorded on a separate track, it is difficult to remove it from the accompaniment track.
3. Completed song files can be exported as either wav or mp3 files.
4. The program can be either downloaded online, installed using a USB hard drive they mail to you, or using a USB flash drive.

The biab website can answer these types of questions and a lot more. It just takes a little bit of research and reading. :)

BIAB may, or may not, be a steep learning curve, have you looked at any of the videos? jbtsax has been doing this for years, it's second nature to him, if you are happy to get to grips with BIAB then it's a superb bit of software. For all I know this will be easy for you, and, in the long run, probably be ideal, but check it out first and see if you want to invest the time learning it.

BIAB may, or may not, be a steep learning curve, have you looked at any of the videos? jbtsax has been doing this for years, it's second nature to him, if you are happy to get to grips with BIAB then it's a superb bit of software. For all I know this will be easy for you, and, in the long run, probably be ideal, but check it out first and see if you want to invest the time learning it.
I've been using BIAB for over 20 years, have designed software for a living for over 30 years, and I still find BIAB utterly baffling to use. Transposing for different instruments, for example, is so obfuscated and hidden that I have to spend several minutes finding it every time. I think the learning curve is indeed quite steep for everyone, and virtually nothing about it is straightforward or intuitive.