Photo contest

Recipes Air fryers

Had one in the house that came with a returning student son. Very good device. Quicker and cheaper than the main oven - but the size of ours generally means that complete meals won't fit in there. Overall I would recommend getting one, faster cooking means more sax practice time....

They work ok but honestly, Its another gadget to take up space.
This is what I thought, but has given us an excuse to clear out the dodgy drinks cupboard. The one with 32 year old bottle with an inch of Advocaat. But also if it makes decent toast then our old nearly EOL toaster can go.

Bought a Tefal Easy Fry and Grill several weeks ago, after much internet research.
Brilliant buy so far. It has presets plus manual temperature and timer settings.
Still getting used to it but everything is tasting better and a lot easier to prepare.
All parts easy to clean and it's easy to use. Even tho the Tefal instructions are abysmal.
First trials were frozen Pommes Frites/Chips/French fries, first attempt with the preset were overdone
since then manual and they are scrumptious.
Sausages Yummeee,
next try will be Cauliflower Cheese could be fun.
Get one, it's more fun than saxophone blowing and almost as noisy but sure does taste a lot better.

Fan assisted oven or fan oven.

Edit. I just googled convection oven and it's described as a fan assisted oven. These kitchen appliance sales people are annoying the hell out of English and Science.
Mr Grumpy of Lancashire. :mad:
Well, if we were to be precise, what we call "convection oven" really ought to be called "forced convection oven". All ovens heat by convective and radiative heat transfer. The convection oven adds a fan to increase air movement and thus heat transfer. The air fryer adds marketing and some recipes for making things that have usually been done by actual frying, i.e., contact with or immersion in hot oil.

Just like a fan oven reduces cooking times, compared to a conventional oven, the "Air Fryer" reduces cooking time even more and the vortex created in the reduced capacity chamber, mimics temperatures reached by frying. I suppose it's still technically roasting.

I always thought that frying was contact with the gaseous oil. Doesn't the oil need to be boiling?

I don't have or want one of these appliances but watching the documentary on how they work and how they're used dispelled my scepticism.
The name does seem to be an oxymoron though.

Great kitchen tool for one or two people. I have a Ninja XL, air fry, air roast or bake modes. Practically no mess clean up. Meals that would be cooked in the gas oven are done in 1/3 the time. Excellent for making side dishes especially roasted vegetables.
22oz pork loin roast in 35 minutes
1706149237641.jpeg

Just like a fan oven reduces cooking times, compared to a conventional oven, the "Air Fryer" reduces cooking time even more and the vortex created in the reduced capacity chamber, mimics temperatures reached by frying. I suppose it's still technically roasting.

I always thought that frying was contact with the gaseous oil. Doesn't the oil need to be boiling?

I don't have or want one of these appliances but watching the documentary on how they work and how they're used dispelled my scepticism.
The name does seem to be an oxymoron though.
It is always difficult to name something new. Frying involves the chemical named fat, which is called oil when it is liquid at room temperature. You don't need fat or oil to use an air fryer, but it tastes much better with fat. In fat frying the fat improves the heat transfer from pan to food. In an air fryer the movement of the air improves the heat transfer beyond that of a conventional oven, comparable to the heat transfer during frying.

You could call it a gadget to heat food with hot air comparable to heating it by frying, but marketing will disapprove of that idea. Technically you could call it an air dryer at temperatures involving Maillard reactions. Again Marketing says no.

For roasting you need some more infra red heating and for boiling fat you need temperatures around 555 F.

There was an informative programme on BBC radio 4 about a year ago. It was mostly talking about the difference in costs of running your home oven and an Air Fryer. Depending on your oven, and which stats you believe I worked out that if you buy an expensive one - £250 - then it could take something like 9 years before any saving is made. Maybe you'd need a new one then..

:confused2:

Nope. I've spent a lot of unhappy hours next to a deep fryer. You bring the oil (which might start out as "vegetable oil" or lard or shortening, but at temp it's liquid) up to temp - if memory serves, something on the order of 450F - and plunk the food in. In the case of doing it with a thin layer of fat in a flat pan, the oil temp's probably higher. But all the popping, surging, cracking, and spattering - that's due to contact of the water in the food with the hot oil. Of course the water boils instantly in contact with 450F oil, which leads to the excitement. You want real excitement, drop an ice cube into the deep fryer. Just stay clear as five gallons of hot oil try to come up and out of the well. (Don't ask me how I know this. It couldn't have anything to do with bored high school students, beer hidden in the back of the cooler, and no customers late on a Wednesday night...)

What i don't get with air fryer™ chips is that; I thought the whole point of a (deep) frying a chip is to replace the water with oil to maximize calories, acne etc. without the greace dripping down the chin and staining your Friday stepping-out shirt it's just dehydrated potato?

Last edited:
You can make pretty convincing French Fries ("chips" for those on the eastern side of the pond) by lightly oiling the strips of potato and baking them. Adding the "air fryer" forced convection method will improve their crispness further. They won't taste and feel exactly like deep fried potatoes; but they're pretty good.

Here in the US "fries" is kind of generically used for any kind of fried potatoes that are longer than they are wide.

We're not real careful about distinguishing exactly what is a "French Fry" - traditionally, we call "French Fries" the longer skinnier ones. But sometimes they're not all that skinny. "Home Fries" is a marketeering term used for fatter slices.

Two peoples divided by their common language.