All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Easy way to learn pentatonic scales for beginners

AndyB

Some people seem to be able to memorize the blues/jazz patterns by flatting this and sharping that, etc. but that is just hard for me to visualize so I sat down with a tablet of paper and figured out another way to memorize pentatonic scales, that when I saw it, was unbelievably easy!

1) Major Pentatonic Scales
- memorize your major triads 1-3-5
- add 2 more notes a whole step AFTER 1 and 5 (i.e. 2 and 6)

[1]-2-[3]-[5]-6

2) Minor Pentatonic Scales
- memorize your minor triads 1-3b-5
- add 2 more notes a whole step BEFORE 1 and 5 (i.e. 7b and 4)

[1]-[3b]-4-[5]-7b-[1]

The blues scale is then just one more addition of 5b.

Thinking of the 1-3(b)-5 triad as the anchoring points and adding notes around it makes a lot of solos that mix arpeggios and scales suddenly make complete sense to me. I hope this helps someone else too, but maybe everybody has to find their own way to make sense of it.

Simply adding a fourth note to the major triad for the 7b is just one more variation of the pattern of adding to the triad to make the dominant 7 arpeggio [1]-[3]-[5]-7b

Another single note addition to the triad gives what my old teacher called the Coltrane sequence
[1]-2-[3]-[5]

Adding more notes can make up the bebop mix scale that fits in the same blues/dom7 harmony, but its easy to think of as just adding more notes to the triad.
[1]-2-[3]-4-[5]-6-7b-7

Then you can move back and forth from the bebop mix, dominate 7 arp and pentatonic scales within a line all by just thinking it as of adding different notes to the triads at different times. The triad backbone doesn't really change except to shift between 3 and 3b.

I'm really excited. The light bulb finally went off. This is what I'll be shedding for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Van

Scarsax

Thanks for this I of advanced years am truly amazed that it is really so simple!
:welldone
Some people seem to be able to memorize the blues/jazz patterns by flatting this and sharping that, etc. but that is just hard for me to visualize so I sat down with a tablet of paper and figured out another way to memorize pentatonic scales, that when I saw it, was unbelievably easy!

1) Major Pentatonic Scales
- memorize your major triads 1-3-5
- add 2 more notes a whole step AFTER 1 and 5 (i.e. 2 and 6)

[1]-2-[3]-[5]-6

2) Minor Pentatonic Scales
- memorize your minor triads 1-3b-5
- add 2 more notes a whole step BEFORE 1 and 5 (i.e. 7b and 4)

[1]-[3b]-4-[5]-7b-[1]

The blues scale is then just one more addition of 5b.

Thinking of the 1-3(b)-5 triad as the anchoring points and adding notes around it makes a lot of solos that mix arpeggios and scales suddenly make complete sense to me. I hope this helps someone else too, but maybe everybody has to find their own way to make sense of it.

Simply adding a fourth note to the major triad for the 7b is just one more variation of the pattern of adding to the triad to make the dominant 7 arpeggio [1]-[3]-[5]-7b

Another single note addition to the triad gives what my old teacher called the Coltrane sequence
[1]-2-[3]-[5]

Adding more notes can make up the bebop mix scale that fits in the same blues/dom7 harmony, but its easy to think of as just adding more notes to the triad.
[1]-2-[3]-4-[5]-6-7b-7

Then you can move back and forth from the bebop mix, dominate 7 arp and pentatonic scales within a line all by just thinking it as of adding different notes to the triads at different times. The triad backbone doesn't really change except to shift between 3 and 3b.

I'm really excited. The light bulb finally went off. This is what I'll be shedding for a while.

SimonR

I'm going to try this too. Up until now I had been thinking of the minor pentatonic scale being effectively the same as it's associated major, just starting on a different note. e.g. A minor pentatonic is the same as C major pentatonic, just starting on the A or the C respectively. Maybe that's because, as a piano player too, I tend to think in terms of piano keys which helps me visualise.

jazzarazzer

As a guitarist I too tend to think in same way as simonR. Both ways work well though and its handy to have all this put together in one post. Very concise indeed:D

zelda

On the border
Good post, AndyB. I use the 1-3-5 method. I'm new to the sax. As a guitar player, I visualize the pentatonic scales as an open C chord on the first three frets of a guitar. How do non-guitar/piano players visualize scales?

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom