support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Advice on old mouthpieces needed.

mbross

Years back, I received a Mark VI tenor as a gift. The previous owner left a small collection of mouthpieces. I've played them, but there is one I can't make heads or tails of. I will use your advice to decide if I want to sell some of them. If I do sell them I will move this to the appropriate section. Please advise on the value and anything I should be aware of for each piece. Most importantly, does this collection say anything about the previous owner? It would be really cool to know something about the guy that played this horn.

1. Wolfe Tayne, metal, tenor, 5 --> all edges are free of nicks. The metal (silver color) is slightly tarnished. The ligature is a plain double screw model of the same color metal.

2. Berg Larsen , metal, tenor, 95/o m --> all edges are free of nicks. The metal (silver color) is in excellent condition. the black plastic bite plate has a few small marks and it is slightly browned. It has the original inscribed ligature, two screws on the bottom, same color.

3. Bilger-Morgan, black plastic, tenor, Inscription on the metal band around the shank is Excalibur, 9605 6 E, and Bilger-Morgan with the treble clef as the "i".

4. The odd ball. I have searched several times on the internet and have found only the most fleeting mention of this piece.

Rovner, metal, tenor, 6 on the table. The facing length is over half the length of the mouthpiece. The word Rovner is inscribed on the top of the mouthpiece as if done with a hand engraver. The metal is silver colored and in near mint condition. It has a slim rovner ligature. It looks like it has rarely been played.

I really appreciate any information you guys can share with me.

Hi, welcome. Would be nice if you'd introduce yourself in the doorbell section.
Couple of interesting mouthpieces there. Not sure if it says much about the player.

If you decide to sell, please read the yardsale rules before posting.

Looking at that lot I'd say he was a jazzer. Too bright for classical and not over the top enough for rock and roll.

Are Rovners odd? They're not that uncommon. For prices I'd rummage around on EBay.

Mouthpiece has to be choosen according you personal tastes... and according the sound you'd like to achieve.

So... set the sound you like to produce... find the correct technique/embouchure (and hardware) you need to get that sound.
That's it.

Wolfe Tayne
wolfe tayne side view.jpgWolfe tayne table.jpg

apparently this is not a Rovner mouthpiece, it is similar in name but it is actually called a Rouner mouthpiece, easy to assume the 'u' is a 'v'..
i might be wrong but i never heard of a rovner (or rouner) mouthpiece, only rovner ligatures

a link to a rubber version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUNER-6-TE...135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dd46211f

It's a Rovner Deep-V and I think it's the D40 model (baffle). A powerful mpc. I have both goldplated and stainless D40's.

it's a Rovner - either a Deep V, Eagle or Wilkerson - they don't make them anymore, but I think Clarence Clemons used to play one - there's still a few available - http://shop.weinermusic.com/ROVNER-EAGLE-METAL-ALTO-SAX-MOUTHPIECE/productinfo/MREAM/
the last few I saw on ebay went for over £100

Clarence Clemons played a D40 on tenor, I think it was a #10. These mouthpieces are rather hard to find today. According to Rovner Products they stoped production for some years ago for re-design thier mouthpieces. But so far there are no new mouthpieces!!.

it's a Rovner - either a Deep V, Eagle or Wilkerson - they don't make them anymore, but I think Clarence Clemons used to play one - there's still a few available - http://shop.weinermusic.com/ROVNER-EAGLE-METAL-ALTO-SAX-MOUTHPIECE/productinfo/MREAM/
the last few I saw on ebay went for over £100

That's the worst website I've seen for a while. An advert for a tenor piece illustrated with a clarinet mouthpiece, and alto piece illustrated by a tenor one and so on. Wouldn't trust them to supply anything.

I wonder if Rovner ever will issue a new version?

I wonder if Rovner ever will issue a new version?

They could continue with the Deep-V D40 tenor and sell it as "The Clarence Clemons model". but I guess they must pay for using Big Mans name. I bought a new goldplated tenor mpc just before they went out of production. These mouthpices were, still are, high quality!

Back
Top Bottom