support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

YTS 62 vs. YTS 275

pimyo

Hi,

I am a longtime hobby musician, familiar with playing guitars and bass in bar bands (Hi Pete!) I'm retiring from my day job this year and I'm taking the opportunity to learn something useful: THE SAX. After some research on the internet, I see that much of the advice given seems to be a bit marketing led. Can anyone tell me if the extra £1000 investment in a Yamaha YTS62 over the 275 model would be worth the plundering of my humble purse?

rocking regards,

pimyo.

Hi,
I am a longtime hobby musician, familiar with playing guitars and bass in bar bands (Hi Pete!) I'm retiring from my day job this year and I'm taking the opportunity to learn something useful: THE SAX. After some research on the internet, I see that much of the advice given seems to be a bit marketing led. Can anyone tell me if the extra £1000 investment in a Yamaha YTS62 over the 275 model would be worth the plundering of my humble purse?
rocking regards,
pimyo.

If you are a beginner, you better save £1000 for later. 275 is an excellent horn. If you find one second hand you can probably resell it for the same price you paid and upgrade your horn.

62 is a lovely professional horn.

For a similar price to the 275 you can get a Bauhaus Walstein or Buffet Crampon 400 sax which many rate more highly. Unless you are wedded to the Yamaha brand you may find it beneficial to do a little more online research just to check out the online reviews and prices etc. Agree with Aldevis about the YTS 62 and other Yamaha pro horns - just think that Yamaha student models are pricey for what they are - including cornets, trumpets and trombones.

Glad you are wanting to learn the Tenor Sax, and big welcome to the forum!

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your response. No, I'm not wedded (or welded!) to the brand: I thought that was a trait of guitarists and jeans wearers! I will seek out info on your recommendations and hopefully find the right instrument to take me to the next level.
pimyo

Hi Pimyo, Tom's advice is always sound (although I'm surprised that he hasn't tried converting you to the "buttonless" brigade!) Now I know what you've already got and I'd say stick with that for a while, get comfortable with it and then, in a few months, when you feel the need, upgrade if you dare.... It's a bloomin' minefield out there!

Welcome to the cafe you old slapper :w00t:

Hi Pimyo

Seems we've joined at much the same time - so good luck to you too.

I have a Yamaha Custom Z Alto and wanted something similar when I decided to sell my £120 eBay Tenor special. I went for a secondhand YTS62, largely because I made such a c..p sound with the cheapy I wanted to be absolutely certain the cause was my inability and not the sax! And anyway if you've been accused of having a mid life crisis (as I was when I started) you owe it to spend much more than is reasonable - thats the point of a mid life crisis isn't it? (I wont mention being told that, having got the sax, I wasnt allowed a new car nor a mistress!! - what gave her that idea?)

All the best.

YTS62 - top drawer horn. Better still, for the same price as the 275 you might be able to pick up a YTS61 (the predecessor to the 62), and I reckon that this might just shade the 62 - a really sweet sounding horn. Have both a 61 and 62 for coming on 30 years, they have been gigged hard and although it's a hugely personal thing, i have'nt tried a horn (even those expensive vintage Selmer ones) that measure up to these 2 Yams. Go try them out for yourself

Back
Top Bottom