support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha 480 VS Trevor James SR?

Lizengar

Both are intermediate horns, right? I haven't tried both yet, but I intend to take a trip down to the shop and test it out. For those who have tried both or owns both (or either is okay too!), what is your opinion on it?

I realised my original post was a little bit "lacking of meat". Opinion on tone, like which is brighter or darker. And what kind of mouthpiece would you recommend to go with either to get "this" or "that" kinda tone.

Last edited:
I haven't got a Yam but I have 3 SR's 2xAlto and 1xTenor and think they are excellent. The only negative is that I managed to wear out the lacquer on the thumb rest in roughly a year. Although it was a year old when I bought it, it really hadn't been used. My guess is the plating on the Yamaha's is probably a bit tougher. The alto I use is the Silver one and the other is the phosphor bronze, both play really well.

Alto or Tenor?

I have a TJ Tenor (Bronze body (the tenor, not me!)) and it is mellower in tone than my nephew's Yamaha tenor (although i'm not sure what model he has, soz).

It played well enough straight from the box, though I did get it tweeked by my local tech. Other than that, it is not picky with mouthpieces - as you'd expect from a modern horn.

You appear to be going backwards with your saxophone ownership...you have gone from owning a professional German made horn to thinking about intermediate horns. Maybe it would be a good idea to save up some money and check out some pro horns like Selmer (Paris), Yamaha, Yanagisawa, another Keilwerth perhaps or one of the Trevor James' pro horns Signature Custom Series...with mouthpieces that's a whole different kettle of fish depending on what horn you eventually purchase and what sound you are trying to achieve...good luck.

Greg S.

You appear to be going backwards with your saxophone ownership...you have gone from owning a professional German made horn to thinking about intermediate horns. Maybe it would be a good idea to save up some money and check out some pro horns like Selmer (Paris), Yamaha, Yanagisawa, another Keilwerth perhaps or one of the Trevor James' pro horns Signature Custom Series...with mouthpieces that's a whole different kettle of fish depending on what horn you eventually purchase and what sound you are trying to achieve...good luck.

Greg S.

It's kinda too late for that now, considering that my JK was already sold. I was thinking, if I can get the tone I want from an intermediate or a student horn (although of course, getting it from a pro model would have been the ideal solution), then that's the most important thing. Right?

I wasn't able to try the Yamaha 480 as it was sold out. There was a clearance sale at Yamaha of up to 90%. Some of their models were over my budget.