Photo contest

Accessories "Wide bar" strap vs. Just Joe's

wakyct

I'm looking for a new strap, my current one came with my horn and is OK but somewhat uncomfortable.

Has anyone ever compared a wide bar strap with a Just Joe's (which everybody seems to like, but doesn't have the wide bar). I like the idea of the wide bar to spread the strap away from the neck but I haven't been able to try any in person.

(this thread had some info but no mention of the Just Joe's specifically).

Whichever strap you use you are still left with hanging a heavy weight around your neck, nothing will take that away although some straps, possibly the one you got with the horn, don't take that into consideration. You might also try building up your neck/shoulder muscles as well as finding something more comfortable.

Which strap do you have?
No idea on the brand, I found the strap in a pouch of the case the sax came in.

PXL_20240108_172021691.jpg

Whichever strap you use you are still left with hanging a heavy weight around your neck, nothing will take that away although some straps, possibly the one you got with the horn, don't take that into consideration. You might also try building up your neck/shoulder muscles as well as finding something more comfortable.
Jazzlab"'s saxholder works great for me and eases back pressure (and pain)

I recommend to ditch the straps with the strangulation sliders, and get the kind that go straight round and secure with a buckle. They don't slip; the position is always the same; and because they don't have the choker slider, they don't bear inward on the sides of your neck so severely.

Unfortunately it's very hard to find this kind of sax strap, for reasons unknown.

Unfortunately it's very hard to find this kind of sax strap, for reasons unknown.
I was very curious about this when you described it in the other thread. Where does the hook attach on the strap? Do you size the belt so the hook is always in the optimal position? What stops the belt from constricting like a normal strap with the weight of the horn? Sorry for the 20 questions :), just finding it hard to imagine. Do you have a picture of one?

I was very curious about this when you described it in the other thread. Where does the hook attach on the strap? Do you size the belt so the hook is always in the optimal position? What stops the belt from constricting like a normal strap with the weight of the horn? Sorry for the 20 questions :), just finding it hard to imagine. Do you have a picture of one?
Something like this one. This isn't mine but I use one that's similar. You can see that without the slider, you don't have the slider pulling the sides in. Yes, you set the buckle so the strap's always at your preferred height. I found that when I wanted to gradually raise my horn a couple inches, going one increment at a time helped me make the change, whereas with a slider I'd probably always have reverted to an old position.

SAXSTRAP-MEINERT-031479478226.2362-448487701.jpg

I'm not sure what is being described bu turf3 but it sounds like a harness of which there are many types. I've tried several and they all work but have their own issues. If you don't have a problem with standard straps then I would just buy whichever one appeals to you and you can afford. Just Joes are harder to find here but the get rave reviews and probably will serve you well. The wide bar straps are fine but not as magical as people like to make out. I have old and new Cebullas and the comfort difference isn't that significant.

I'm not sure what is being described bu turf3 but it sounds like a harness of which there are many types. I've tried several and they all work but have their own issues. If you don't have a problem with standard straps then I would just buy whichever one appeals to you and you can afford. Just Joes are harder to find here but the get rave reviews and probably will serve you well. The wide bar straps are fine but not as magical as people like to make out. I have old and new Cebullas and the comfort difference isn't that significant.
Look at the picture.

Just Joe’s is available with a wide bar. I have one, though I don’t like it much.

Thanks, I thought I had seen that at one point but couldn't remember, finally found it in the Just Joe's shop. So now there's that one, the Boston Sax shop strap, and also a couple of others (Protec and the BG Zen) with the wide bar.

I can't say I'm too excited about ordering a bunch of straps to try out. DIY'ing something is looking more appealing.

I just bought a 'Hooki'. Well worth investigating because it removes the weight from the neck and places it onto the shoulder muscles. It's early days, I haven't had it very long, but so far it seems like a very good thing. I had been suffering with neck and shoulder pains after a recent long spell of playing tenor and the Hooki definitely removes the weight from my neck. As I get older I am really starting to notice the effect of having the sax around my neck for long periods.

I think it's very important to get the right size - three are offered for sax at the moment, H1, H2 & H3, (and 3 for Bassoon). I bought an H3 at first (and have returned it to Thomann) because I somewhat misunderstood the sizing chart: the definition of having a 'long neck' is only that one's chin is above the top of one's shoulders (which I thought everybody's was until I started looking!).

I think it's important to understand that the sizes really relate as much to chest depth as they do to one's height. With the H3 I found that the device dug into my right shoulder muscle - not good. The way the device sits on my shoulders, coupled with my height (I'm 6'4" and slim built) which means that my right shoulder is always rotated back when playing tenor to the side. However, I now have an H2 and this is has solved that issue, although getting the positioning right is important.

I'm considering getting an H1 as well, just to see if it feels even better. I wish someone would stock them in the UK!

The problem with a Just Joe’s strap is that once you try one you’ll never use another strap. I think I’d like the wide bar for tenor, but for alto and soprano, it feels weird to me.

Obviously it wouldn't be good if that rested on the diaphragm area. Where does it sit on you? And is it adjustable?
Well it rests on your abdomen and not a problem at all. It's not a huge amount of pressure most of which is on your shoulders. I think the benefit is mostly that it is on shoulders not neck, and the abdomen pad just takes a bit off of that.

I really like the saxholder, I would not have managed with the bass for very long if I didn't have it.

Last edited: