PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones This Selmer looks genuine, but then again it doesn't...

DavidUK

Café Supporter
What do you think...

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 20.54.17.png

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 20.55.02.png

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 20.54.34.png

The bell engraving looks good, but the colour and key work I just can't place on a Selmer Paris horn?

I'm sure the key touches are... plastic!

Ad here: Saxophone and Signed Canvas from Howie Casey | eBay

Anyone?

Here's a DHGate fake...

The Ebay one under...

rBVaV13lv_WAHD1iAAFxgSl2kdo669.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 20.54.17.png

And a typical DHGate fake "ElkMart" logo...

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 21.27.01.png

Can't quite see if the eBay one says ElkHart or ElkMart... anyone?

Note that the seller is selling with proceeds to a cancer charity. If this IS a fake, which I'm 99% sure it is, that's a pretty scandalous listing IF the seller is aware.

Last edited:
It's almost certainly a fake - the cheap Styrofoam case doesn't help. Surely the joint rings (if that's what they're called)would normally have some engraving if genuine). Also the absence of any branding in the listing other than 'Prelude' which is a model line from Conn-Selmer and those definitely do not have a Selmer Paris stamp on the Bell.

I'm always sceptical of fringe charities that support other charities and have similar enough names to confuse with a larger well known one, although this one does appear to be a registered charity:

NB: this item is not being sold by the charity itself

What of...

"Saxophone and Signed Canvas from Howie Casey.

Poole-based musicianHowie Casey, who played with Paul McCartney, has gifted a saxophone to theChristchurch hospice which helped care for his late wife, the singer SheilaCasey."

Seems unlikely a pro sax player would donate a fake?
Anyone know Howie, to ask him?
@Pete Thomas - you know him?

I'm always sceptical of fringe charities that support other charities and have similar enough names to confuse with a larger well known one, although this one does appear to be a registered charity:
Not sure of the rationale for this. Lots of national charities have local groups which carry out activities in their own local area. That's what this one does, and it's been doing so for almost 50 years. It's quite clear that his one operates in a defined area of Dorset. It raises and spends a good chunk of cash each year, so I don't think this is a 'fringe' charity.

The sax does look wrong. As well as the keywork and key touches, the curve of the neck doesn't look right.

It's a delicate situation. I don't wish to wrongly accuse either a charity proponent or Howie of "handling" fake branded goods (it is illegal to sell them remember) but if they are innocent to its provenance they would be shocked to find it's a fake I'm sure. IF it is.

Note this eBay auction is NOT being sold by the charity themselves- it is being sold by an individual with some or all of the proceeds generated from the sale being donated to the named charity.

As said the named charity is legit and checks out and does charitable work as per my link. I just don't care for the practice of hanging on to the coat tails of another charity in a way that could be perceived as an attempt to mislead - this is very much my personal opinion and there is nothing illegal in doing this.

I do appreciate that MacMillan Cancer Support being so large and nationwide that people may want to specifically support in their local areas.

Yes, it does blacken the charity's name by linking it in any way to the sale proceeds IF it's a fake.

I asked the seller yesterday for a close up pic of the bell engraving. No reply so far.

I'm 99% certain it's a fake.

Yes, it does blacken the charity's name
I don’t see how it blackens their name given that they are not running the ad and are unlikely to have any mechanism to vet the source of donations. Even if they did how can you expect a charity to know how to spot a counterfeit saxophone?

Edit:

I also imagine most people buying eBay don’t notice or care that the money goes to charity. I doubt it affects sales. They will buy what they want.

Last edited:
Here's a DHGate fake...

The Ebay one under...

View attachment 22980
View attachment 22981

And a typical DHGate fake "ElkMart" logo...

View attachment 22983

Can't quite see if the eBay one says ElkHart or ElkMart... anyone?

Note that the seller is selling with proceeds to a cancer charity. If this IS a fake, which I'm 99% sure it is, that's a pretty scandalous listing IF the seller is aware.
100% sure it’s a fake just by looking at the engraving.

It’s a Conn-Selmer prelude, not going to sell for much, the colour in the pictures is irrelevant and not likely remotely accurate. I would just let it go, Howie Casey has a reasonable footprint on the web and is probably real. I don’t think this is fake, it doesn’t claim to be anything special, and nobody is being cheated.

It’s a Conn-Selmer prelude, not going to sell for much, the colour in the pictures is irrelevant and not likely remotely accurate. I would just let it go, Howie Casey has a reasonable footprint on the web and is probably real. I don’t think this is fake, it doesn’t claim to be anything special, and nobody is being cheated.
No, not a Prelude.
It would have "Prelude" on the bell and it wouldn't be "Made in France" or have a Selmer Paris case.
The only "Prelude" thing about it is in the case storage compartment. Maybe why the seller has put Prelude as the brand.

I'm just about ready to report it to eBay as counterfeit.

Took me a while, but the bell lettering is trying to copy a USA assembled MkVI.

Genuine top, eBay fake under...

Selmer-Mark-VI-Tenor-60528-2-of-34.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 22.21.28.jpg

Genuine top, eBay fake under...

Selmer-Mark-VI-Tenor-60528-14-of-34.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 22.44.19.jpg

Genuine pics (loads more too) from:

Have advised seller to remove it Tuesday when he's back or I will report to eBay for removal.

Seller responded:

"Hi David,
I’ve just had a look at the listing. It doesn’t say anywhere that it is a Selmer. It does come in a Selmer case but I don’t state anywhere that it is a Selmer.
Truth be told I don’t know anything about saxophones to know the difference.
You can check out our website www.macmillanlocal.org and see the picture of Howie Casey donating the Saxophone and Signed Canvas.
If you want to pursue this then that’s your right. All we are trying to do is raise money for an end of life charity.
I’ve looked online to see what legalities are around selling a saxophone and I am not quoting any branding of the saxophone.
I will try and speak to Howie on Tuesday for clarification."

Back
Top Bottom