Photo contest

Saxophones The Silver Lady

Ads

I`ve not really said much about the "Silver Lady", the Yam 62 I relieved Davey of last week apart from a few bits in other threads . on Monday I will have had it a week and been spending the free time playing it and getting used to the Ergos after a lifetime of MkVII (the short time I had with the BW "backup Tenor" was spent largely playing Alto and Soprano both of which were very new) and it`s becoming second nature now..
Yamaha-62-TSax-5.jpg
Dave Chose this from a shopful and I can see why, it also took an Andy Shep Autograph to prise it from his grasp and I can see why too, it really is a lovely sounding horn at both ends of the scale and across the whole volume spectrum, whether the silver makes any difference is another matter (Horns, even Yamahas can vary quite a bit anyway) but the way it "plays itself" and its air integrity is allowing me to concentrate on moulding the sound rather than working around leaks and other issues (Tired MkVII) . I had my doubts that a 62 could replace the old Selmer but it looks like its going to nicely .. it`ll never be the same of course but then my music has been expanded vastly in that time and the 62 actually fits the spectrum better . some horns have our names on them ..
Yamaha-62-TSax-4.jpg

All I got around to doing was a rudimentary clean (water on a rag) so only today have I got some Goddards and gone to town cleaning it properly so thought I`d put up a few pics . Silver isn`t easy to keep and no doubt it`ll have the Patina of a 60s silver MkVI in a couple of years but at least its had one good going over. I really like the silver and can see why Kev, Saxgirl, QWales etc prefer silver to regulation gold .

Yamaha-62-TSax-6.jpgYamaha-62-TSax-7.jpg

Silver isn`t easy to keep and no doubt it`ll have the Patina of a 60s silver MkVI in a couple of years but at least its had one good going over. I really like the silver and can see why Kev, Saxgirl, QWales etc prefer silver to regulation gold.

I like how silver plated horns age, too; I've an SML Super 45 I think looks lovely even though the brass shows in places.

PS,,, Just done my last gig on my back up tenor,,, not playing anymore roll on Tuesday >:)

However good the backup maybe (Bauhaus, TJ RAW, YTS25, Rev-II, Jericho or whatever) it`s a backup and (although no doubt needed in your game), it`s not the horn you`ve settled into, or that`s how I feel .. I still felt more comfortable playing the worn out MkVII than the 62S so the Selmer had to leave the building pretty damn quick, best thing I could have done . I`m sure the Sheppard will become "Your Horn" pretty quick, the 62 is taking its time with me due to being far longer exposed to a single horn of different ergos but I`m getting there and reaping the benefits, the polish up has taken it one stage futher, it`s "more mine" if you know what I mean ..... Yeah , I`m insane I know .

Kev - no there`s no Lacquer on the silver plate and to be honest, that`s something I`ve never seen, It`s a very hard process to get right as you get pinholes and uneven surfaces.

Kev - no there`s no Lacquer on the silver plate and to be honest, that`s something I`ve never seen, It`s a very hard process to get right as you get pinholes and uneven surfaces.

Wasn't sure. The BW M2 was supposed to be lacquered over the silver. Some of my saxes are silver. Quick wipe over with a soft cloth is all they usually need, with a silver cloth polish about twice a year - but there's very little pollution in the middle of the Bavarian countryside. Same with my wife's silver flute. My 1930s alto is silver, and loks better than the 70s lacquered bari... Unless you like a worn out look, that is.

Silver plate's a lovely finish. When you compare it side by side to Nickel, the nickel looks cheap, more like chrome...

Thanks Kev, the horn had the usual black bits patina but Daves wedding gigged it solid for 5 months from new so no wonder (at least its played in) , all gleaming now . Nickel looks exactly like Chrome, there`s a depth to silver which is something else and Yamaha plate them thick .

Thanks Kev, the horn had the usual black bits patina but Daves wedding gigged it solid for 5 months from new so no wonder (at least its played in) , all gleaming now . Nickel looks exactly like Chrome, there`s a depth to silver which is something else and Yamaha plate them thick .

Yea Yamaha don't lacquer the silver. The horn was getting a nice scruffy look as I never clean my UL or silver horns.

It`ll get that scruffy look again no doubt, I`m not a polisher by nature, I just wanted to polish it properly Once . it`s a Psychological thing after having just bought it as in it`s "my horn" now if you know what I mean :)

You know what it`s like Dave, when you get a car (never had a new one , never will) the car isn`t yours until the inside`s been cleaned, all the previous owners toffee papers under the seats have been rooted out, the Tax disc holder been changed, comical window stickers removed and the remnants of the smells from their Vanilla flavour Magic tree have gone ....

I know what it`s like to have a new Horn though (the 62 MkIII Alto), never thought that would happen :) though that was a one off I`m sure .

You know what it`s like Dave, when you get a car (never had a new one , never will) the car isn`t yours until the inside`s been cleaned, all the previous owners toffee papers under the seats have been rooted out, the Tax disc holder been changed, comical window stickers removed and the remnants of the smells from their Vanilla flavour Magic tree have gone ....

I know what it`s like to have a new Horn though (the 62 MkIII Alto), never thought that would happen :) though that was a one off I`m sure .

You could always get a new Chinese tenor>:)

Thinking more on the lines of a Bari - the well regarded G4M is £950 new and Ex-dem (new but "tested") ones a fraction of that ......

Though seriously, I Ain't got the cash sadly and I`d take a B-Stock John Packer for around the £800 mark before a G4M if I was spending anywhere near that kinda money (which I won`t be as it maybe just a fling) . Both the G4M and JP Certainly put battered old £500 Czech / GDR Baris into perspective though and the price of such should drop :D .

Beware of the ex demo G4M kit. I have a suspicion it isn't ex demo but returns. Stuff folk have sent back because it's not just quite right. I've had a tenor from them that needed regulating and a pad refitting and a sop that needed some metal work. Both play absolutely great now but if you're not handy you could get stuck with a lemon. My battered old weltklang Bari isn't as refined in the keywork and ergonomics as the G4M and it's a little clunky but it knocks spots off them for power and ooomph.

Beware of the ex demo G4M kit. I have a suspicion it isn't ex demo but returns. Stuff folk have sent back because it's not just quite right. I've had a tenor from them that needed regulating and a pad refitting and a sop that needed some metal work. Both play absolutely great now but if you're not handy you could get stuck with a lemon. My battered old weltklang Bari isn't as refined in the keywork and ergonomics as the G4M and it's a little clunky but it knocks spots off them for power and ooomph.

I think you're right. Makes me wonder how many people buy a new one, not an 'ex-demo' and get a lemon.

Thanks Colin, I wondered how they compared sound wise . the problem is that a lot of the old GDR/Cz Baris will be needing expensive work (I`d imagine a re-pad would cost more than the horn is worth), it`s not a cakewalk courier-ing the things safely to a tech either and with Steve Howards promising review of the G4M and the reports on JP they seemed like a better alternative thesedays .

Mine was new in the mid 1980's and is still all original pads. One or two bits of the rubber they used instead of cork has fallen off and been replaced with all sorts of self adhesive felt and rubber stickers. It's been knocked off the stand twice. It still shines with a spot light on it. It's got dents and dings, some rough looking solder work on one of the key guards (guilty) and it needs a little pulling about now and again but it still plays great.

I don't think the old GDR's will drop in price. There's lots of folk willing to have a go at them and the sound is worth the effort. There's so much room on a baritone. It's not like the brain surgery of re attaching a displaced spring on the sop. I had to put two pairs of glasses on lol.

Back
Top Bottom