support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The progress of an improver

interestingly. my sax teacher tells me that many of the clarinet students she "acquires" at secondary school (who have already been learning in primary school) cannot identify notes.
This reminds me of a tale told to me about the experience of a well-known single-read teacher at RNCM. (It came to me secondhand.)
The teacher visited a primary school to give a demonstration to a group.of clarinet students. He asked for volunteers and, getting none, picked on a young lad. He looked over the child's instrument as said, "to start with, let's get the mouthpiece the right way up......." A sixth sense told him to stop. He looked around and saw that each child's instrument had its mouthpiece upside down (ie with the read at the top).
I think that primary schools are often over-ambitious in the teaching of music. There's no point in trying to teach children to play music unless the teacher knows enough to do so. I should think that such teachers are few and far between.
One thing that puzzles me is why they start children on clarinet. It's not an easy instrument, with the lower register going from G to G,,the upper register starting with D and six oddly-keyed semitones in between. Alto sax would be much easier for both teachers and pupils. Is it just that clarinets are cheaper to buy?

That is really strange @richardr ! I agree! Children might be attracted to an instrument which offers more to touch and push than just the bare tone holes of a recorder? Or perhaps the teaching staff think that they might cope better with the sound of a class full of clarinets over that of the recorder. In my opinion they are attempting to teach them to run before they can walk, if they have no prior knowledge of an instrument or music. Unless they have had access to recorders in their pre schools now and they feel justified in introducing them to something a bit extra once they go on to primary? It would be good if they could start of right though and be taught how the instrument works.
I’m guessing that a lot of children now have had access to virtual instruments from an extremely young age and have big expectations of what real ones sound like. They love tactile objects, the more buttons and levers something has, the more fun it is.

Work your way down this list and try to think of why some or most of them were banned.
It proves someone can be offended by anything if they choose to be.
List of songs banned by the BBC - Wikipedia

As for the Gulf War blacklist, I believe the expression is 'political correctness gone mad'.
I see the Beatles on there..... that’s bad enough... but Conway Twitty??? What did he do to offend, apart from caking himself with bullet proof orange make up and wig?

@richardr Lower register starts at E and goes up to Bb with trill keys for B &C. Upper register starts with B and ends with a house full of bats or Whitney Houston emailing copyright infringement.

I can't imagine there are many Jr school kids who can manage their lunch, books, sports gear and an alto without doing themselves a mischief. Clarinets are less prone to ding damage and easier to repair too.