support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds The Mysteries of Branford M.

SopJob

Hi there,

last Friday (Jan 22, 2016) Branford Marsalis gave a concert in a church in Ludwigsburg, Germany. He played alone mostly (completely unplugged), and it was an excellent performance. The program was well suited to the acoustics of a church.

Anyway, during the break, I went on stage to have a peek. I saw sheet music and then a table with 9 packets of reeds on it. What puzzled me was: There were three packets of clarinet reeds and three packets of alto sax reeds, although Branford played his usual tenor and soprano only. He had tenor reeds as well, but no soprano reeds.

This kept me pondering ever since. Does Branford play clarinet reeds on the soprano? Or alto reeds on tenor? Or did he just put his tenor and soprano reeds into clarinet and alto boxes, for whatever reason? Maybe just to confuse amateurs like me?

Hints welcome,

Frank.

Found this, may help clarify confusion ;-)

What is the setup for your tenor saxophone?
Jazz Only Selmer Fred Lebayle size 8 Reeds: 3.5 Alexander Superials
What is the setup for your alto saxophone?
Classical Only Selmer Classic C Reeds: Vandoren # 5
What is the set up for your soprano saxophone?
Classical & Jazz Selmer D Reeds: Vandoren V12 Clarinet Reed Size 5+

Gruss from the Kraichgau - spike

There's an Vandoren video on YouTube of Victor Goines talking about his gear
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szu46JYO0kY
. At about 5'36" he talks about his soprano choices and touches on the idea of using Vandoren V12 clarinet reeds on soprano to get, as he puts it 'more wood' in his sound, and credits Branford Marsalis for the idea. I've tried it and it works; the longer scrape of a clarinet reed does give a different tone quality, whether I get 'more wood' is debatable ;).

Last edited:
I seem to remember some article from the 80s mentioning someone else using clarinet reeds on soprano. But I can't say whom. Might be Steve Lacy.

You have to ask yourself, "If clarinet reeds work so much better than sop sax reeds on sop saxes then why don't reed manufacturers make sop sax reeds like clarinet ones?"
I don't believe that they've been making them in the same way since 1850 - they must experiment. So how is it that they haven't come up with this wonderful easy solution?
You also have to bear in mind that both Sam and Branford could make a lolly stick sound good.

Bb soprano clarinet reeds are as wide as Bb soprano soprano saxophone, but they are significantly longer.
This means that the reed profile (longitudinal profile) is longer... and the profile of a Bb clarinet reed over a soprano saxophone (mouthpiece) facing will be "flatter".

There are pros and cons with very "flat profiled" reeds... but this exercise is pretty common, if you like a certain feeling.
Reed with a very flat profile are not so common these days... so one has to use a reed for "larger" instrument.
Bb clarinet and alto saxophone reeds fit over a soprano mouthpiece as baritone saxophone (and bass clarinet reeds) fit over a tenor saxophone piece.

Nothing new... everybody has his/her own sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom