support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones "The Martin" saxes.

thomsax

I'm doing some writing about "The Martin" saxes. For the last 33 years I've been collecting all information (sales brochures, ads, pictures ... and most important all the information I 've got for other Martin players around the world. I bought my first "The Martin Magna Tenor" in 1982 after I read a coloumn about saxes that were written by Uffe Andersson (ABBA ...). After that I decided to buy a Martin. For me "The Martin" saxes are the real thing. But I guess I have bought my last Martin. I was close to get another of my dreamhorns the other year; a "The Martin Magna Baritone" to low A. Too much money. The saxes below are; baritone from -62 (212XXX), Magna tenor from -59 (208XXX), alto from -57 (198XXX). Today I play a Yamaha 25 tenor most of the time. A realy bad saxophone compared to my Martins ;). But my back, wrists, hands .... hurts less with modern saxes.

themartinsaxesII.jpg

Great picture Thom. It must be amazing to have a family of horns like that - what about the soprano to complete the line-up ?

My first bari was a "The Martin" from the late 50s and it had a monster sound. I wish that I still had it - to me it was better than a Conn 12M, probably the most classic baritone from the golden period of American horns.

I have a Martin Magna alto with silver neck and it is almost too bright and powerful for me to use - it needs taming.

I also have an Olds Super tenor from the early 40s that was made by Martin and has that great Martin sound but very unusual looks.

Rhys

An alto Magna with silver neck pipe. That's another milestone. The Magnas were availble in ther diffent finishes; gold laquer, silver plated and gold plated with a silver neck pipe as an option. I have never seen an gold plated Magna. If you have some pictures of you alto to share for my "Rock & Roll Saxophone Magazine", I would be glad. The magazine is a strictly none-profit family business. I do most of the work, my son helps me with layout and my brother help me give the right words from English to Swedish. The Rock & Roll Saxophone thing is more or less an American.

The Martin Baritones are good baris. Even scale and quite easy to control. And the low tones are also easy to blow. But I think a Conn 12M is more powerful.

The Olds Super saxes are cool. I've never played one, but it sure looks cool!

A "The Martin Soprano" would make the family complete. But I don't think there were any Martin (comm III) made. Just HC sopranos.

Thanks. The Master (Typewriter) is a good sax. My friend is teaching saxophone in Boston and he told me that one day a student showed up with a Typewriter. He was suprised how well it played and the keyworks were a lot better than he thought it should be.

I would enjoy the chance to listen to you playing her. There is no sax that I would swap her for! I am fortunate to have an immaculate example.Typewriter6.jpg Typewriter5.jpg

Attachments

• Typewriter4.jpg
    Typewriter4.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 226
An alto Magna with silver neck pipe. That's another milestone. The Magnas were availble in ther diffent finishes; gold laquer, silver plated and gold plated with a silver neck pipe as an option. I have never seen an gold plated Magna. If you have some pictures of you alto to share for my "Rock & Roll Saxophone Magazine", I would be glad. The magazine is a strictly none-profit family business. I do most of the work, my son helps me with layout and my brother help me give the right words from English to Swedish. The Rock & Roll Saxophone thing is more or less an American.

I would be very happy to contribute pictures to your "Rock & Roll Saxophone Magazine". Just tell me what views you would like and I will take some photographs and email them to you.

Is that magazine available in English ?

Rhys

@Rhys; Thanks. I let you know more when I'm ready. The "magazine" is in written i Swedish. Most of the persons that reads it are from Sweden, Deanmark, Norway and Finland. Rocksax is not big here.
@kevgermany: So far just in Swedish.