PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Syos Haloween Deal Preview

I received an email yesterday, but it says 11AM EDT...

I didn't expect them to deal in US currency, so I looked at 11AM CET! :rolleyes:

All these acronyms we're not used to in Europe unless dealing with the US on a regular basis.

I received an email yesterday, but it says 11AM EDT...

I didn't expect them to deal in US currency, so I looked at 11AM CET! :rolleyes:

All these acronyms we're not used to in Europe unless dealing with the US on a regular basis.
Youtube says "11am EDT/4pm Paris time! "

I went for a couple of tenor Freaks this time. I already got a threesome of soprano Freaks last year.

I'm curious to see what I get. It is really a lottery!

So they arrived:

IMG_20201105_140930902.jpg

At first I thought there was an error as they are very different sizes! Is one for alto, or the other for baritone?

IMG_20201105_141015743.jpg

But no. Here is a regular, well known Meyer and it's about the same size as the smallest one. In fact, the white one is much longer I guess because it has a small or narrow chamber, so it needs to compensate the volume!

At least that's my interpretation.

The first blow was sort of OK, but not really conclusive. As usual, as I found with all of the Syos pieces I received, the table is not very smooth and the pop test fails. I know it doesn't prove anything, but I like when it pops! Then I know the reed seals properly. And indeed, after smoothing the table on both they do pop nicely. And they play better.

So I now have a colorful collection as you can see in my new avatar. :D Until I change it again...

So mine have arrived this morning, a white soprano signed Raul Colosimo 7 or 7* (difficult to read), a yellow soprano signed wha looks like Dan Forshaw 7, a pinkish alto unmarked completely and a white alto signed Mornington Lockett 8* So I might just spend a few days getting acquainted - well it beats decorating or cleaning :)

So mine have arrived this morning, a white soprano signed Raul Colosimo 7 or 7* (difficult to read), a yellow soprano signed wha looks like Dan Forshaw 7, a pinkish alto unmarked completely and a white alto signed Mornington Lockett 8* So I might just spend a few days getting acquainted - well it beats decorating or cleaning :)

At least you know what you got, well some of them. Mine are completely unmarked. I think I know what the white one is, as it's really quite special with what I believe is a Daro Behroozi as it looks like it has the same extra nano chamber and rollover baffle, but mine is not as open. Probably a 7 but then again unmarked! It only has a serial number starting with ZBXN.

IMG_20201109_190729942.jpg

IMG_20201109_190755562.jpg

The magenta one looks like a medium or large chamber with a straight baffle. Again no clue what it really is.

At least you know what you got, well some of them. Mine are completely unmarked. I think I know what the white one is, as it's really quite special with what I believe is a Daro Behroozi as it looks like it has the same extra nano chamber and rollover baffle, but mine is not as open. Probably a 7 but then again unmarked! It only has a serial number starting with ZBXN.

The magenta one looks like a medium or large chamber with a straight baffle. Again no clue what it really is
How are you liking them? I'll post images of mine but there are too many on SYOS and I don't have the patience to look at each player profile :( So far I'm loving both of the white ones (Mornington Lockett and Raul Colosimo. The pink/magenta is a no go for me - I don't like it at all. I haven't really tried the yellow one yet. I was very impressed as I had previously said I'd never get a 3D printed piece :D
01A11EE4-FC03-4A69-8ADA-C5C6C19EA011_1_105_c.jpeg
CB1ED559-BC4B-4B74-A5A8-4CB579D5DE9D_1_105_c.jpeg
18593CE5-81F6-47DC-8718-B0E586347AF9_1_105_c.jpeg
1883DCF7-62C1-4BF4-953A-26954FA8BC4D_1_105_c.jpeg
72C9C701-F1D1-4190-AC47-70BE6E5C7942_1_105_c.jpeg

Well I am not that impressed with the white, nano chamber one. It's difficult to get the low notes out, while the medium and high notes are fine.

The magenta is not exciting. I'm back to my Brilhart Tonalin refaced by @Phil with my new Légère American cut or my PPT 7*... ;)

Came back to the white extra nano chamber. Something tells me it's not that bad, but maybe I am not blowing it right...

Is it the chamber size that require more air for low notes to come out properly? It feels that way. And today was better. I must be getting used to it.

I've never really taken any notice of chamber sizes and baffles before. I've either liked a mouthpiece or not. Since these freaks arrived I've watched a few SYOS videos about their products. Whilst I'd say I'm still not that interested in technical things and glaze over when given technical details, I have tried to find out a bit more :). I found the video about the baffles interesting

Anyway having played with all 4, I still like both soprano pieces very much. I no longer like the Mornington Lockett piece, it is too bright for my taste. I absolutely love the pink/magenta alto piece and have no clue about the model or tip size. I can't decide if it's a low step baffle or curved. I would be hopeless in any technical job! It's just as well I spent my life in finance :) Like you @saxyjt I only have the number in the shank, I can't find any information on these numbers so I might email SYOS and ask them at some stage.

How are you getting along with the nano chamber?

I've never really taken any notice of chamber sizes and baffles before. I've either liked a mouthpiece or not. Since these freaks arrived I've watched a few SYOS videos about their products. Whilst I'd say I'm still not that interested in technical things and glaze over when given technical details, I have tried to find out a bit more :). I found the video about the baffles interesting

Well, I listened carefully (although I must admit I'm always disturbed by the French way of speaking english) and all I retain from it is that I should be choosing by color! :rolleyes: But I'm still not really sure what is my preferred color! :confused:

So it didn't help at all!

How are you getting along with the nano chamber?

We're slowly getting acquainted to each other. Like a couple of teens that are feeling some sort of attraction, but aren't sure about their feelings... :oops: I will continue to go after her and see if she likes me or not! o_O

I have not ben able to play much this week-end. It's kind of complicated for me... I'm not as free as I'd like, playing my horns. And with the lockdown is not helping.

Back
Top Bottom