PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Synthetic vs. Cane reeds

One thing I'd add which hasn't been touched on above. If you start with cane (which is probably a good plan, IMHO), they last much better if you get a set of, say, four reeds on the go, and play them in turn - one day on, then let the reed recover for three days before you play it again. If you play a lot, you might need more on the go.

As noted above, it's possible to play a reed into the ground in a week or two, but if you cycle them like this they can last much much longer than you'd expect: the set of four will last longer than eight weeks, for example.

Your mileage may vary, and of course splitting or dropping them doesn't count! :)

I finally got around to unpacking & playing the synthetics (thanks to this thread) I ordered. I got: black ("bamboo?") Forestone, BARI, and Legere Studio and Classic, and played them on my (old, brass, not stainless) Ponzol II-V-I on an early SBA. I didn't order Fibracell because I had one in the shop from long ago, that I hated, and after reading this thread I found it and played it again and still hated it (the strength felt right through the lows and the middle range, but any high notes it clamped closed and wouldn't play at all).

To cut to the chase, here are files of the Legere "Classic" (soft) vs a Rigotti Gold #2 (light). The Rigotti is a bit toward the stiffer side of the #2 light: View: https://soundcloud.com/justsaxes/sets/cane-vs-synthetic-tenor-rigotti-vs-legere-studio

The Rigotti was a reed already selected out, that I liked, previously.

These two files were recorded on my phone voice recorder. When I played them back on my phone, the result was the opposite of what I felt when playing. When I uploaded to Soundcloud and played back on PC with headphones, the result was a lot like what I felt and heard playing live, in a small room with wood floors.

OK...important stuff noted, here is why there's only Legere Classic vs Rigotti Gold: as mentioned, I have never met a Fibracell that was playable for me, so I didn't order any. I ordered a range of BARI brand, and they played OK -- they didn't close off on high notes, and played OK throughout the range -- but for me the tone was sort of rubbery (don't know a better word for it but many will immediately know what I mean) and the pitch center was freakishly flexible to me, not in a way that I liked. To me the BARI felt, to play, like the noodle-soft (fake) rubber guitars looked in those old 1980s glam rock MTV videos. They are probably for someone (someone for whom Chu tenors are still not flexible enough for their taste), but not for me. I made the two recordings for my own reference, and I knew after 20 seconds I'm not going to be playing BARI at this point in my development, so I didn't need to hear them recorded.

I also ordered 1 of the black Forestone, and I can't speak to how good those could be for me personally as I ordered it a bit too hard. It felt pretty good, but it was just a little too stiff for me to draw a conclusion. I'll order some more a notch softer and see what happens (there's a good chance synthetic do have a place in my own development, after all -- so thanks for this thread). I didn't order the white Forestone because reviews seemed to indicate I wouldn't likely stock them or want to play them. The black have a shot, though, at least on the latter count.

Here is what I found, personally: The Legere Classic was a very balanced reed with a quick attack and even scale, subtoning pretty well -- not exceptionally well, but good enough -- and all ranges felt good. The high notes were easy to play, though maybe not as full as with Rigotti, and altissimo may have spoken a little easier than with Rigotti and most reeds in general (I go up to G, with no real G# in my bag to speak of, but am working on it). I was impressed with the LC's tone. It was a little weaker, and a little less colorful overall in the room, to me, but it had a nice medium-wide, musical personality, and I felt like I could play a little sweeter (in the room, to my own ear) than on the Rigotti. Response was quicker and easier on LC than with Rigotti, but (maybe interesting, maybe not) when I played the files back on my phone it sounded to me like the opposite was true. The Rigotti sounded cleaner to me on the phone playback, but I didn't reach a conclusion about then listening back to the Souncloud files on PC.

The Rigotti, for me, was "smokier" (which I think is about having more broken up and a slightly wider array of overtones, which comes out as a slightly broader color spectrum which I hear as greater power and richness) on PC playback. I sound better to me on Rigotti.

But the Legere was much easier to play. I didn't need to think about avoiding "bad sound" at all when playing the Legere, where I felt like with the Rigotti I had to concentrate on actual tone production itself while playing.

I think for pure study of technique (which I personally need a lot of) I'd be better off on Legere. I think the ceiling for sounding good to myself recorded is higher with Rigotti.

That's all I have for now.

Huh. I can't check right now, but I think the Legere file is mislabeled. I could be wrong. It could be a "Legere Studio" or the other one (I think there is another one?). I can double check that later.

I forgot they even exist, thanks to being so out of the loop for years on synthetics. I think the supplier was out of stock and I backordered them...not 100% sure. I went mostly off Amazon reviews, and there's nothing in the Amazon reviews to put me off them. Definitely will order some if I don't already have them backordered. :cheers:

Oh: A1 above is synthetic, and it's the Studio, #2. B1 is Rigotti Gold #2 "light" (but a stiffer one).

Hi ; So a bank holiday weekend draws to a close : I've been waiting on the postman to deliver a lig for the Quantum also a couple of " Bari " reeds. I've always thought of that as a bit of an oxymoron ( if that's the correct term ? )..I mean a reed is just that ; it's not made of anything it is a reed..( cane )
I'm sure were familiar with Bari reeds but for anybody who isn't they are so far as I know one of ; if not the first synthetic ? They come in soft : med etc as opposed to numbers .
Sure I use cane reeds from time to time ; Orange box Rico or LaVoz..there is a huge choice out there : I like to keep it simple.
Nothing worse than a good cane reed dyeing on you and the hassle of trying to replace . Some people really have it together with pre soaked : prepared reeds to hand ; some rotate them ; some even number and date them holding the real good players for " special " use be it sessions or live .
Yup it's a whole big thing is reeds and absolutely crucial to our voice . Different reeds for different mpcs..it goes on and on.
So what is your take on it ?
Are you settled on a reed of choice ? Do you prefer cane or synthetic and why..For me that's the easy one . With Bari ( I can't comment on other syn ) you get that consistency : day to day the reed doesn't change..no soaking : no prepping..
What's your take on it ?
Cheers
Ade

Yea, it's been covered a lot. Comes down to two camps: 1. traditionalists 2. those who see reeds as a hassle and opt for something easier and consistent. The traditionalists swear by a "cane sound" although the variability just in one box says consistency really isn't a characteristic of cane.

There is an aspect of ritual when using traditional cane. You get a box and then "triage" it to find the few good ones, those that need work, and the total duds. The experienced traditionalist modifies reeds that need work. If they are made to come alive it's an accomplishment and point of pride. Soaking prepping, labeling, and the rest of the rituals can be looked at by a cultural anthropologist and seen in the same light as other ritual behaviors that bring good luck, good crops, rain, etc. If you can find an honest practitioner of these rituals they may admit to being believers who consider that without the ritual one couldn't possibly play as well.

Synthetic reeds have come a very long way since plastic covered cane or those awful plastic lolly sticks someone tried to pass off as reeds in the 1960s. Today there are lots of very good ones out there for those who bother to look. As with religion or other forms of ritual, if you're a believer and worship at the alter of cane and give money to that practice, then you may not wish to acknowledge that there is any possibility other than your tried and true ritual. I frankly don't care and don't see the need to proselytize any product or ritual. You're either a seeker for what works for you or you're just another believer. One sees/hears people who are also "believers" for specific brands of synthetics.

Keep an open mind, and if you have the funds, time, and a friend to swap and put reeds on a mouthpiece for you, do blind trials and feel/listen to what works best for you. Nice to inform others of what you think they could try, less nice to have to listen to missionaries trying to justify their beliefs or sell others on their brand.

Last edited:
Good Morning...
" Results may vary "...that's half the problem Alex. I like to put a reed on and get to the playing without half an hour chopping and changing . You get that reed that sounds just great ; it dies on you and finding a replacement can be a lot of hassle .
Once you do , the whole process repeats itself . Maybe synthetics can be seen as the easy way out but it comes down to how they sound . My Bari reeds sound just fine..that's the important thing..

Cane reeds are 'environmentally friendly'.
Plastic breaks down to millions of microparticles that enter the food chain and drinking water.
The packaging of D'Addario and Vandoren reeds also produce this problem, with each reed in it's plastic holder, five or ten to a plastic wrapped box. Vandoren go a step further by wrapping each reed holder in plastic. Since the synthetic reeds last longer, less waste plastic is therefore produced when using synthetic in preference to these brands.

Alexander and other reed brands use cardboard reed holders, which prevent this problem.

I've been using Legere signature on tenor for the last few months. Just saw today there's a new Legere reed coming out next month - American Cut.

I like to put a reed on and get to the playing without half an hour chopping and changing . You get that reed that sounds just great ; it dies on you and finding a replacement can be a lot of hassle .
I don't mind playing with cane reeds of varying quality and I think it's quite good for my chops. I also try not to get too attached to a great reed and always rotate them, or it becomes all about that "magic" reed.

Howdy dude...what's an American cut ?

According to the email I got today:

The American Cut represents the next generation of Légère saxophone reeds. From the first note, the reed speaks with total ease while giving players just the right amount of edge. It is free-blowing, colorful, and loaded with personality.

Available for alto and tenor saxophone, the reed’s free-blowing and responsive nature is due to an entirely reinvented profile and heart. The American Cut features a slightly wider vamp with material moved from the outer edges to the spine. This change is simple but has dramatic effects on the playability and tone of the reed. By making the edges of the reed thinner, it can vibrate freely, providing a full, clear low register and vibrant altissimo.

Made for jazz

After years of research, more than ten design iterations, and hundreds of test reeds issued, the American Cut is the most thoroughly developed reed Légère has ever produced. This extensive testing process was conducted for one purpose; to create a jazz reed that offers total performance freedom while delivering the dependability that Légère reeds have become known for.

And here's a comparison of the different "cuts":

Compared to other Légère reeds

NEW! American Cut:
The American Cut represents the next generation of Légère saxophone reeds. From the first note, the reed speaks with total ease while giving players just the right amount of edge. It is free-blowing, colorful, and loaded with personality.

Signature:
An exceptional reed for musicians of all types but most enjoyed by classical performers. Play across all registers, in all dynamics, and with all the color and nuance you need from a reed.

Studio Cut:
The Studio Cut is bold and punchy. Providing a hard-hitting and percussive tone, it is ideal for rock and live performances. The Studio Cut is a great option for players who have tried other Légère reeds but want even more volume and edge.

Classic:
This reed is dark, focused, and with a solid core to its sound. Classics are thicker than other Légère reeds making them extremely long-lasting and durable. They are perfect for students and those in large ensembles

I am intrigued. And now I realize why I wasn't getting the dynamic control, color and nuance from my Studio Cut. It was because I should've been playing a Signature! Finally, they put out a better description of the reeds' characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom