Photo contest

Side to side mouthpiece concave table

Janosax

Hello,

I have an issue with my Lebayle LRII 8* metal mouthpiece. It has a side to side concave table, by design to accomodate cane reed swelling. Don't seems to affect playability on cane/plasticover reeds as they are no leaking. But my new Ponzol Proreed synthetic reed has some leaking as it's 100% rigid and flat, only with my Lebayle ring ligature which applies pression on reed edges. With V16 Optimum lig, I've got no leaking. I've made a test with some saliva between reed and table, and while blowing the MPC with a finger in the MPC for etancheity I can very slightly hear bubbles, so it leaks. It's very slight however. When I put some cork grease between Proreed and table, no more leaking at all. And again it's only with synthetic reed/ring ligature combination.

Some illustrations here, with a first pic of my MPC with Proreed/ring lig with a light in my hand to show the leak:

eD9JjH.jpg

With some cork grease between reed and table:

FbUC7h.jpg

And here with V16 lig longitudinal rails plate and no cork grease:

ymUjX5.jpg

I played a lot this V16 lig on my precedent MPCS which were a Yani metal and a V16 metal. But the Lebayle was selled with the ring lig, and liked it a lot as it gives a darker and focused tone with slightly wider low register. So I asked myself, is it clamping method and added material, or concave table whick make the difference? Pete Thomas is certainly right when he mentions perceived differences between ligs are more related to MPC table concavity than ligs specs in itself, even if he spokes more about lenght concavity than side to side one. With cork grease, the tone on Proreed seems to be a bit brighter with more eveness on the whole register, but really not by that much as with saliva too leak is really pretty minimal (air column in sax is a lot less resistant than saliva on a little leak like that). But again, it seems to be a very slight difference in reed/tone reactions, not even that consistent. I even tend to prefer the sound without cork grease, but it can be 100% in my head too : ))

So I ask myself... refacing or not? Cork grease seems to cure the issue with this ring lig on synthetic reed. And V16 lig has no issues at all. So refacing/flattening table despite offering a more permanent and reed friendly solution will scratches the Rhodium plating, and will asks for global refacing as table reduction changes tip opening. I can lose on this, if the character of this MPC is lost in the process, as I like it a lot like that.

What do you think about this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Adapting anything to make it use something it isn't designed to accommodate is fraught with problems, expense and possible disappointment. Cane reeds can be adjusted simply and quickly so that every one in the box plays. Practice is more important than kit.

Thanks for all replies. As I say, cane reeds almost all play well on that MPC without any modification, as facing seems pretty well done. Leak is only with synthetic reed and ring lig. In reality it looks much more minor than on the picture I taked BTW. Cork grease fix the issue, and synthetic reed will not have any issue with that. It's a not destructive resolution, so seems to be the simplest way to go.

Thanks very much for this advice. Any suggestion about cork grease alternative?

BTW I'm a "one mouthpiece" guy, can't play several MPC I even don't keep those I don't play and sell them. When I find a good/better mouthpiece I keep it several years and practice a lot to get my sound until I find some limits or feel the need to go to another sound direction. When I'm searching for a new MPC it's long and difficult to decide myself on which one is the new best for me. So for this period it's the Lebayle, I love this mouthpiece and get my sound on it.
:confused2: lol

Last edited:
Thanks for all replies. As I say, cane reeds almost all play well on that MPC without any modification, as facing seems pretty well done. Leak is only with synthetic reed and ring lig. In reality it looks much more minor than on the picture I taked BTW. Cork grease fix the issue, and synthetic reed will not have any issue with that. It's a not destructive resolution, so seems to be the simplest way to go.
Probably some lip balm.

Petroleum based products can make you feel rather ill.
I am pretty sure that many greasy spoons around here use petroleum based products in their fish&chips

Any suggestion about cork grease alternative?

D'Addario Woodwinds All Natural Cork Grease

Ingredients: Extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, soy wax, jojoba wax, pomegranate sterols, castor oil, carnauba wax, shea butter, hemp seed oil, candelillia wax, slippery elm extract, marshmallow root extract, aloe vera oil, and finally vitamin E (from a review on Amazon.com)

D'Addario Woodwinds All Natural Cork Grease

Ingredients: Extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, soy wax, jojoba wax, pomegranate sterols, castor oil, carnauba wax, shea butter, hemp seed oil, candelillia wax, slippery elm extract, marshmallow root extract, aloe vera oil, and finally vitamin E (from a review on Amazon.com)
I'm surprised they didn't add 'Suitable for vegetarians'.

I can imagine a heated discussion about whether and how different types of cork grease affect the sound/intonation of the saxophone. Maybe someone could plant a post on SOTW.

Thanks for answers and lip balm idea, it works pretty good I must say : )

Well, I hate those kind of issues as I tend to be obessive a little bit, and music is all about emotion and not brain game.

But in fact the sax is a mechanical/instrument, not just a projection of soul in sound. And the more I forget about those technical aspects, even if I like them too, the more I'm in peace with myself by having fun with my playing and sound.

But.... I have another issue. This time, it seems to be worst. I have leaking on rails when biting the synthetic reed. Seems to be related to long facing curve/shape, big tip opening, and reed material flexibility. I've started this thread because I had an intuition and started looking my MPC reed matching. Again, no issues with cane reed, only with synthetic one. I've heard some air leaking while playing and thought it was embouchure issue because of playing a harder reed. In fact, blowing some water though finger sealed MPC show leaking between rails and reed. Nothing related to concave table, only to facing and reed material. No lig cure this, and leak are further my lips position on MPC. It's not good, look at those pictures:

VdHRvj.jpg
YuC5kU.jpg

ss5aE6.jpg

Pics spokes by themseves. When I applied pressure with thumb on the reed, there are leaks between rails and reed. This can explain some difficulties with altissimo... as I bite harder to reach them and they're not very stable with this reed, tone tend to "break" a little.

This reed was so good to blow, and just made a review .... :confused:

I have sent a mail to Ponzol about that.

Have you ever heard of this kind of issues?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom