support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Off to California to play Dixie!

saxplorer

or ... My Big Adventure Part III

Three years ago, having played sax for about a year, I decided I needed to find out what it was like to play with others. A little winter sun seemed a good idea at the time too, so I found, more or less with a pin in atlas, the "America's Finest City Dixieland Jazz Society" and the Adult Jazz Camp to be held in San Diego in January. "Beginners welcome" it said!

http://dixielandjazzfestival.org/jazzcamp.html

Well it was a real education. Mostly, what I learned was how little I knew, about playing in a band, about the conventions of Dixieland Jazz, about polyphonic improvisation. But I loved it. The people were wonderful and welcoming, I got to play a LOT and no one minded when I messed up: the music was energetic, fun, with a balance of structure and freedom that I loved. The instructors were skilled and filled with a love of the music.

So I went the next year (2011) and, knowing a little more, was able to hold my own just a little better. Last year I had to skip for various reasons, but I am going again this year!, leaving on Wednesday.

Here is a clip featuring four of the instructors, Clint Baker on Trombone (he can play just about everything), Katie Cavera on guitar, Marty Eggars on bass and Hal Smith on drums

The way they do things is to constantly mix things up so you get to play with a different band every hour. We have eight tunes to prepare, so things get going pretty quickly. And it amazes me how seven strangers can make instant music that sometimes sounds pretty good.

I'm taking my sop, as I feel it fits the style better than the alto which I took before, so I'm hoping my intonation will not be too painful on the ears.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy yourself and if that is what they are serving up, you'll have no trouble.

Reminded me of Humph's Festival Hall version when he had Bruce Turner in the band. Where she sings "My mother wanted to know last night, why do the boys treat Kate so right?" they sang "My mother wanted to know last night, who let the learner go out with Bruce Turner?"

Haven't you seen a trombone with keys before? Living in the sticks...;}
How dare you, sir? I'm within walking distance of the very centre of Denton, I'll have you know.

denton home of happiness.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff :)

Enjoy yourself... i'm sure you will :thumb: also can we have a video of you in one of the bands pleaseee :)

Well, you asked for it! "Down In Honky Tonk Town" (after a brief diversion into HBTY).

My solo on this is not a thing of beauty, but that's how these things go sometimes :) Overall a wonderful experience and great fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtoihtbo3zvvljj/P1270021.MOV

The reeds instructor, Jim Buchmann is a wonderful player and teacher. Here is a small clip of him on the saxello, playing with the other instructors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlf9jgndw3woitc/P1270024.MOV

Testing the widget